Jobs
Tags

Abandoned Office Game Devlog

A topic by saladsquid created Jul 22, 2023 Views: 371 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Abandoned Office Game Devlog 1

The jam has officially started!

Already, I think I've made some good work in my game. It's a puzzle platformer game with pixel art, because that's easiest for me to make. It is set in an abandoned office, a large one with several floors. Each floor holds a new puzzle. To get between floors, you use an elevator in the middle of the map, which goes up and down in cycles (you can see where the theme inspired me). The ultimate goal is to escape the office. I think it could be a neat concept.

I've finished a lot of the artwork, at least with the basic assets. I also got straight to adding in the elevator, as it's a pretty crucial part of the game. My next priority is wrapping up the artwork and making a few polishing changes. From there, puzzles and external decor! Very excited to get back to work, I think this'll turn out well! :D

-saladsquid

Submitted

That's great!

Submitted(+1)

I love elevator!

Submitted

Abandoned Office Game Devlog 2

It is now day 2 of the jam (at least in my timezone).

The game is coming along swell! The final game will have 3 floors of the office, which sounds like it'll be a short game, but it probably won't. The first puzzle has been (partially) implemented. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say that you need a key. I'm not sure what the next puzzle to be added will be, but I'm coming up with some good ideas.

The majority of the game's artwork has been finished! Image 1 is the elevator shaft, image 2 is the elevator, and image 3 is the player character.

I gave myself a pretty tight restriction of working with either 8x8 assets (majority of them) or 16x16 assets. Usually I work with 16x16 exclusively, maybe 32x32 occasionally but I thought it would be interesting to limit myself further with 8x8 assets on this game.

I didn't get much work done after I published the previous devlog, as I was invited to a party that night. Today, though, I want to try and finish all of the game's puzzles. I want to wrap it up with at least three, so hopefully that works out. That's all for now. See ya!

-saladsquid

I like the concept. 

Do you need dialogue for this? Little text boxes showing his internal thinking sprinkled around, or some background lore?

-Matthew

Submitted(+1)

That's actually a good idea. I was initially thinking to have a cutscene before the game starts, although dialogue is a very good idea. Why do you ask?

-saladsquid

(1 edit) (+1)

The premise made me imagine it having some written backstory. If its one character, then he or she can have a few dialogue barks. Like observing the puzzle difficulty, or the erieness, or the goal of the game. Have a few quips for comedy relief. 

If that is something you want to consider, do let me know. I would at least take a closer look at what you have before going forward.

-Matthew

Submitted

It was going to have a backstory, somewhat similar to BotW if you know the beginning of that game. I do like the idea of dialogue, I think I'll start work on it later today.

-saladsquid

(+1)

I haven't played Breath of the Wild, actually. Seems that you know what you want to do though. If you'd want any help, just send me a message here. 

-Matthew

Submitted(+2)

Abandoned Office Game Devlog 3

It is now day 4 of the jam (and I am wearing a raincoat).

Yesterday I made some very exciting progress on the second puzzle! I've outlined what it will be, and it'll sure be challenging to implement, but also very cool as a finished product.

I also got some more artwork done! Plant assets in particular were what I wanted to focus on, as I've slowly been shifting towards creating the game's external decor.

What is mildly concerning is how my game engine is acting today. I loaded it up and it seems to have no memory of Abandoned Office Game! I think it can be fixed quite easily, though. It'll be a matter of time before I find out.

I made some new strides in adding in a monster for the player. It's design is based mostly on the monster from Kane Pixel's Backrooms series, mainly because it looks sick as hell. No actual programming yet, though, apart from the monster changing forms. I don't want to spoil it's appearance yet, so that'll be all it gets in this part of the devlog.

Matthew Birdzell suggested implementing dialogue. This was something I didn't initially plan on, but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. I think I'll be working on that part of the game as well.

Anywho, that's all from me. Peace!

-saladsquid

Submitted

Abandoned Office Game Brief Update

Barely any progress has been made on the game in the past couple days. I’ve been traveling a bit. I expect to be back in development soon though!