Jobs
Tags

[DEVLOG] Blade of Baltonia

A topic by Ratsnest Studios created Jan 29, 2023 Views: 402 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hi there^^

I'm Ju, and I have partnered with my twin Miira to bring you... *drum rolls* 

Blade of Baltonia; An interactive visual novel set in a fantasy land full of mysteries, romance, and magic!

The Story:

You, a sellsword, arrive at the crown capital of the land at a time of chaos and confusion. Finding yourself in a position to solve some issues in exchange for coin, you engage on a quest to solve a grand mystery and confront the culprit behind the havoc. On your journey you meet friends, foes, and maybe even love...

Features:

- Beautiful and dynamic sprites / backrounds

- An engaging story

- RPG-like skill stats (hidden because where's the fun otherwise?)

- Friendship and romance

- The best music I can find for free lol

Added if time favours us:

- Simple voice acting

- Special CGs

I'll add updates regularily(?) to show the progress we have made, and discuss the process with those who are interested (I'm friendly, no worries).

Happy Jamming!

Submitted(+1)

Day 1: Actualizing the concepts

We had a late start due to personal obligations, but I have began the writing process, and Miira has produced her first sprite, which we won't be sharing beforehand due to it's central nature to the game.

I also searched and found reference photos for a couple of the backrounds:

Overall, we had a nice, productive planning session, and even got some work done^^ Personally, I am satisfied. A solid 9/10 day.

Submitted

Day 2: The planning stage

The story is forming nicely, and I have made some progress with the dialogue.

We finalized and organized the backround concepts. Miira had to be the realist and convinced me to cut back with some of the ideas. First, we will prioritize the 5 backrounds most central to the story, and if we have the time, we may add a few more.

Finally, I gave Miira some direction and references on a couple of the central characters. I have a few more to design, but I already have a general idea of what needs to be done.^^

As for the code, I have viewed some tutorials regarding a few of the trickier parts, and I have learned some new things I'm excited to try out. First, I need to finish the story and dialogue, though.

Submitted

Super excited to see how this looks when the story and visuals come together :D 

Submitted(+1)

Thank you^^ We probably share some visuals once Miira finishes some of the side characters / backrounds. 

Submitted(+2)

Day 3-4: Progress

Here's a work-in-progress photo of one of the backrounds:

Sorry about the quality, it's a screenshot taken with a phone.^^

I also made a small quiz that will determine the base attributes of the player (Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma).

Our cat decided that she needs more attention today, and has been in the way of the work a little, but we are going strong!

The fiend in question:

Submitted(+1)

Day 5,6,7 visuals

Sorry for the long silence! Miira has worked very hard, and we have some visuals to share^^

The concept of an inkeeper character making an appereance in the story ^

An almost ready version of one of the central places in the vn!

As for me, I'm devoting next week to finishing the script, coding, and audio mixing. This is exciting!

(+1)

the art is beautiful ! i'm sure you make art again beautiful.

Submitted

Day ??? Last crunch

Aaaa we have roughly 38 hours left馃槺

Miira is working extra hard to finish the art, and I'm coding my ass off. We can do it!

It isn't perfect, but like I told Miira, it doesn't need to be; It just has to be done.

In-progress pic of one of the bgs (It is done at the time of this post tho )

I hope my writing does justice to Miira's art, and brings some extra atmosphere to the vn.^^

I also think I have found some really good music and sounds to make the game more of an immersive experience.

Welp, back to work I go!