Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is anyone interested in producing stop motion animation for game?

A topic by amazingjoe created Mar 22, 2022 Views: 202 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 5

I have an idea for a mechanic that will have a old school Laser Disc style feel. I'm pretty open to giving whomever teams up with me a lot of latitude on the story and execution. Anything from armature level CGI to stop motion animation taken from your iPhone and stitched together into an MP4  can work for me as long as it can fit a few parameters we discuss to work well with the control system I have in mind.

If you are interested in collaborating let me know.

Deleted 222 days ago

Happy to work together. Are you familiar with laser disc style of games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace? They were characterized by showing video sequences, accepting an input and then based on that input showing another video (i.e. Death scene if they chose wrong or the next scene to advance if they chose correctly).

I'm not picky in terms of if you want to animate the video, take real footage etc... but want to make sure you are happy producing this style of graphics/video.

Take a look at this video to see the game in action.

(131) Dragons Lair (1983) [Arcade] - YouTube

Specifically jump to 1:10 through 1:18. You will see the character grabbing onto various ropes to get across. The player has to press the right sequence at the right time (when you here those noises) in order to make it to the other side. If they were to press the wrong way or not press the right one in time they would see a death scene displayed.

If you look here you can scroll down to the entry called "Burning Ropes" to see the sequence the player has to press. Guide for Dragon's Lair - Room/Scene Sequence (trueachievements.com)

The style of the game is not so much the animation graphics but the idea that video sequences are played. Death sequences for the wrong responses or the next sequence if the player does the right thing. Here is an example of someone who did a stop motion animation with clay that is a bit fast for a game but gives an example of what a sequence might look like: 

All I need from whomever does the video is the various sequences. These could be stop animation generated from an iphone etc... The key is having someone who can create 1 min of playable footage. In the 1st example above (Dragons Lair) the sequence is roughly 20 seconds so perhaps 2-3 sequences could be included within the one minute play time for the game.

If we were using this sequence where the yellow person loses their head that could be the death scene if the player decides to click the action button vs. if they had clicked to the side to hide which would then show a video sequence that advances the narrative where the yellow character hides. Sorry I am probably not providing the best explanation of what I am looking for.