Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Does cards based rpg fit the one page constraint?

A topic by OlivierGuillaume created 56 days ago Views: 148 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4

I have been thinking for a while about a card based RPG, and I would like to use this jam to implement it but I'm not sure it fits the one page rule.

The core rules (what the players and DM would need to read beforehand) would fit in a single page. The game would also feature several decks of cards for the races, skills, items, wounds etc. To create new characters the players draw a few races and skill card then select the ones they want.

Does this idea fits the rules of the jam?

Submitted

I don't think that it would because the number of cards would extend far beyond the rule page itself. And the idea is that you'd ONLY need one piece of paper to play the game. 

Unless you mean the player will be using a standard deck of cards to play with no instructions or prompts on them. That would simply be a part of the system like using dice, coins, markers, whatever. Supplies don't count as long as those supplies don't also contain instructions. And by that I mean, if you ask the play to pull a card in a standard deck and it's a 6 of Diamonds and the instructions for what the means are on your original one-page instructions then you're good to go. However, if they player has to pull a card and that card says "Add 5 Health to your Total" then that wouldn't be allowed within the rules because those are necessary instructions outside of that one page. 

I hope that makes sense and helps.

Host

Yeah drawing from a regular deck of playing cards to reference against a table on the sheet is fine. Printable bespoke cards with additional info on them would be beyond the scope of this jam.

Submitted

I made a submission with a table of questions and added a note that players could write the questions down on cards for more variance. Perhaps something like that would work for your project?