Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

exe

A topic by Bardon created May 25, 2023 Views: 161 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

hello, i have made my first python-game. but i cant convert it to executable or html, it's a py-file with an image-folder. Or is py-file in this jam allowed? Of course I would do then a new game

Host

You are allowed to submit python games in .py format, but if you want to convert-it into an .exe file you can use pyinsaller.

I use auto-py-to-exe, though I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand how to get windows to stop identifying it as a virus... There is that option though. You could look up how to download it. It has a few kinks you learn over time about it though, so I don't recomend using it for this jam. In future jams though, I'm sure you could get a hold of it!

Submitted

thank you for your mail. Because of the virus warnings I download my python-games only as py-files

Being able to build your game into an exe (or other format) is an important step. It's difficult at first but it's something you have to know how to do if you want to share with it other people. Practise it occasionally, even if the game is just a snake clone or something simpler. Build it and playtest it.  Otherwise you'll get surprised by things like 'wait, I need to change all the model files to this other format?'  and other pitfalls that can take a long time to fix in bigger projects. 

I use panda3d to make stuff, and I used building binaries and lesson 16 to learn how to build my creations. It was quite abstract at first, it built but when I tried to run it, it just failed without any message or warning but eventually I figured out how to see the error log and then you can proceed to figuring out why it's failing and usually it's because I have a typo in an asset name or the asset needs to be in a different format. Or the asset path is wrong. Now I have more experience and making a build is still a hurdle but it's less intimidating then it was at first.

Whichever library you use to create things in should have documentation somewhere on how to build it. There's also the official python documentation but I usually struggle to make head or tails of it, other websites tend to have clearer examples.

You can also use cx_freeze library of Python to convert python programs to .exe, especially for Pygame!