SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Finding a Team + Other Common Questions Sticky

A topic by Kaelan DM created Oct 01, 2023 Views: 121
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Jam Host

Hi everyone! 

We are just two weeks out from QGJam! We hope you’re as excited as we are 😌🌈 ✨ If you haven't joined our Discord server yet, please do so ASAP! 

I wanted to take a moment to clarify some common questions we’ve gotten as folks join the jam. 

First, though, a reminder: mark your calendars for October 14th, when we’ll be hosting our kickoff symposium! We’re inviting some badass speakers to talk about queer games and queer design, and their discussions will serve as the theme for the jam. The symposium will be live all afternoon (EST) on the 14th, and it will be recorded.

What even is QGCon?
We’re actually one of the older still-running organizations for queer games out there! We’ve been running events (QGCons) since 2013, where we have showcased both scholarship and games interested in what it means to play queerly. Past speakers have included Avery Alder, Anna Anthropy, Robert Yang, Zoe Quinn, and innumerable other rad folks. We proudly offered travel grants, PWYC ticketing, and homestay programs to our speakers, making QGCon one of the most accessible conferences in academia.

Our 2020 conference was canceled due to the pandemic. We’ve spent the past three years incorporating as a non-profit and talking about how we can run events that are accessible and safe for our community. QGJam is our first post-COVID foray back into events organization.

if you want to learn more about QGCon as an organization you can look through our past conferences at our website https://qgcon.com/ ! we have recorded talks going back a few years.

I’m looking for a team! How do I find one?
We are dedicating the first day of the jam to helping folks find a team, so don’t worry about finding one just yet! Until then, we encourage you to think about what you want out of a team. Do you want a portfolio piece, or would you rather experiment with a weird idea even if you don’t finish anything at all? Are you hoping to make friends, try out a new engine/skill/role, or is this your first game jam entirely? You’ll have a much better time jamming if you work with like-minded people, and we’ll be asking these questions of you again when you start to look for teams on October 14th - so make sure to give it some thought!

I want to make a non-digital game. Is that OK?
Absolutely! In fact, quite a few of our invited speakers are tabletop designers themselves …

Invited speakers? 👀 Who are you inviting?

It’s a secret 🤫 keep an eye out on the Discord in the coming days, we’ll be announcing them very soon! ✨