SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Maggot Colony progress

A topic by heavybro created Jul 10, 2022 Views: 810
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted (2 edits) (+2)

Intro

Hello, it seems people are so humble to show their progress of some cool games they're preparing for us. Fine, I'll do it myself :) It took us some weeks to get a decent progress. I have teamed up with many people and we're capable of doing something major. I have been playing around with the idea of gigantic bugs invading our mother planet with slightly modern weaponry and units. The win condition would be to destroy all bugs' nests and win which might be lengthy and fun (???) but also we could expand on that further.

Progress

Assets

Before the jam started, we've been drawing lots of assets as we were allowed to do that so :)

Some assets appeared during jam and so on. We have learned many things on how to render stuff to look old school in Blender, I have written a script in Python to render models at different angles and later, I have improved so it could render animations!

Generation

The level-design can be overwhelming work for me and since I was a big fun of procedural world-generation (like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress) , we made a randomly generated maps based on rules and noise algorithms

Fog of war and its problem

The fog of war implementation was never simple and at the early beginning, we brought the paid implementation of fog of war and we saved a lot of time for solving different problems of the game.  However, my friend who is using Linux was experiencing some unplayable issues with displaying and it was caused by fog of war URP (Universal Render Pipeline version of Fog of war) after some troubleshooting, the same issue was on WebGL version and I could not deal with crippling my game to Windows only which is quite terrible to me.

The solution was not to use URP and it is! However, the former programmer has cut down the contents of legacy RP before he left the team, I could not have the other choice but buy it. And after I bought this asset, I was so happy that it worked fine on Linux and Browsers!

Current results

And after hard work and week, we have reached at this state of the game, where you're able to actually play and have fun at least 1 hour of gameplay (According to tester's average time). The game's codebase might be poor and undocumented but it is not that big issue and it might just work fine on the end.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I would say I am satisfied with current results and I hope to improve on current things such as controls, interface and many minor improvements. However, I should also avoid burn-out which can be extremely difficult in that cool jam :D