Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

a few simple ideas, feedback appreciated

A topic by the jonkler's shit games created Jan 17, 2024 Views: 62 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2

i haven't been working much on my submission (semester ending soon), but i had a snow day to work on my system, so here's a couple things i've come up with

1- traits as classes: classes aren't traditional roles, but are instead adjectives to describe a character (prepared= basic combatant, corporate= specialized assassin, hippocratic= medic/support). at base level, they're all assigned a specific gadget that is tied to them as a "class." multiclassing works by essentially swapping the character's original gadget for another (i.e. the corporate's dog tags being equipped by a bloodthirsty character). this could lead to more powerful creations and more fun combinations methinks

2- non-fixed damage rolls:  this one's simpler.  the game's rules allow for some wiggle-room with the damage of a weapon, simply stating a suggested damage. this is because i feel having a single fixed, unwavering damage value can be a little... boring? stagnant? idk, but i prefer the idea of "this baseball does 1d8 damage, but this other baseball bat does 1d6 damage due to wear and tear"

3- stats: tenacity is a statistic that represents your toughness and resilience. it also dictates your max hp and max rp (resistance points, which can allow a character to push through damage), and control is a statistic that represents your sanity and mental stability. if you have low control, your character is more on-edge and skittish, and a character with 1 or 2 control is essentially untethered, and should be roleplaying as such. also, marksmanship is a separate statistic from dexterity, and dexterity is reserved for slashing or piercing damage, while strength is used for blunt damage.

let me know what y'all think!!

HostSubmitted

Hey Jonkler, I'm glad you're able to find time where you can to design! There's not a whole lot here to go off of, but I've put together some observations based on what is here.

1- I dig this. I like a good freeform describe-your-character mode of character creation. This sounds fun, fast, and easy, while still allowing for in-play complexity.

2- Whoa, right into damage. I wonder what dice/randomizer we used to get here? I like the idea of situationally variable damage. Maybe less of this one does d6 and this one d8, but maybe a baseball bat would do d8 in these circumstances, but only a d6 in these less-optimal circumstances. Just a thought!

3- Most of this sounds fine, but Control gives me pause. Before you get going with it, you might want to do some reading about insanity in RPGs. While it was a common thing to add to games in the 90s, our hobby is less welcoming to it at present. Instructing people to roleplay insanity can brush up against some safety concerns at the table and some ableism concerns at the book level. That doesn't mean you can't include it, it just means you'll want to be aware of the arguments involved and handle it tactfully if you do include it.

I think you've got a solid start here. I'm excited to see where you take it next!

hey sorry i haven't replied earlier but

2- that's exactly what i was going for! situational damage increases/decreases are going to happen (ex. someone who's perfectly healthy will definitely hit harder than someone who's beaten and bloodied), so i figure there might as well be a way to include that

3- now that i think about it that's definitely true- i can see some portrayals of ""insanity"" being generally concerning. i'll be sure to read up on it and try to handle it respectfully

thank you for the advice and kind words!