Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Why would you make a "women game jam"?

A topic by IvanM71 created 33 days ago Views: 260 Replies: 8
This topic is archived. It is unlisted and no new posts can be made.
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(-10)

Without aggression, I really want to understand. Isn't this sexist? Imagine the reaction of society to a jam only for men. And what is the point? After all, it does not give any advantages either socially or career-wise. So why?

Submitted(+4)(-1)

Every other game jam is a male game jam. Women and feminine presenting people are amongst a minority within the game development industry. I hope you understand

(1 edit) (+3)(-3)

No aggression here, but...

Excuse me? What on earth is a male game jam?

I've never seen a single one. Go ahead, just open up ANY game jam blindly, you'll see they won't disqualify you for being a female, girl, woman, a bear, your mom.

It's hardly understandable. There is no such thing as a male game jam. Now there's a woman game jam here and it's the only one that restricts gender.

However, it IS indeed a good thing that everyone can express their creativity through art and games, etc. without limitations of one's persona. The Game Design university I went to had 50% females 50% males so there was NO minority, it was perfectly balanced. And in the end it was mostly girls that graduated. So I guess it depends on the country. But here in northern part of Europe, women making games are not a minority.

You'll be happy to know your vision of the world is misinformed and things are actually better than you think. :)

By the way I do still support the idea of this "woman game jam" because it can help inspire those more shy ones and the ones that try to avoid any male contact for some personal preference reason.

Good luck and have fun jamming!! Love! <3

Submitted(+5)

It's not a "women only" Jam. There's a lot of men in the Jam and that's ok. So, no, it doesn't have a gender restriction.

Submitted

Nobody's hosted a male game jam. I'm saying most other game jams have a minority of women & feminine aligning people. You're not disqualified for being male. Just because your school didn't have a minority, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My college also has a lot of queer and fem people and yet, I still speak about the discrepency. I don't entirely understand what you see in my view of the world. It's fact that amongst the game industry, women/fem people are a minority. Though that gap's closing and it's becoming more common, it wasn't like that prior and it's not a 50/50 like you describe.

The jam has been great though

(+10)

I love men talking about women issues from their own perspective. You cannot assume the situations of the industry in every country, although is great that in your Uni there´s  a lot of women making videogames, it is not the same in the rest of the world, just check the recent scandal of Activision Blizzard systematic abuse and harrasment against women.

And just for your information the jam is not exclusive for women even though the ideal would be just for women, there are a lot of men participating in the jam. So no, we´re not sexist.

xoxo

(+1)

100% true

Submitted(+6)

It's not a Jam only for women, you know? There are men in the Jam too. It's not a restriction, it's just a name and the Jam exist because of the situations of the industry when there's women working. It's to encourage more women to join and create games. 

Kinda pointless to even mention or explain anything then. This has been a full misunderstanding starting from the two original posters, and all explanations here are invalid. Have a nice day! Feel free to remove this entire thread, as it's useless misinformation.

Submitted archived this topic