On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Are games like Love Ball adventure games?

A topic by I'm Peach created Sep 01, 2020 Views: 151 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit)

Hi,

I've never played Love Ball in my life but I've seen ads about it, so I was wondering, is Love Ball an adventure game?

- C.B

Host

Never heard of it. I did a quick search and found a game called Love Balls, but I'm not sure that's what you mean because it's the exact opposite of an Adventure Game (it's a physics based puzzle game)

(8 edits)

Right, thanks. But I have 2 other questions...

1. But what if it's a game like an escape game, because you said an escape game counts as an adventure game, so if I make an escape room game, (but it's not point and click,) and the character is a ball kind of thing, so instead of walking you roll around, etc. Is that accepted as an adventure game?

2. What standard time does the jam end in?

EDIT: I'm not sure what you think, (but if you say it's not an adventure game, I won't go forward with this idea,) but to me, the ball game that I have in mind suits what Wikipedia says:

An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of a protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving.

Except for the part where you said:

because it's the exact opposite of an Adventure Game (it's a physics based puzzle game)

But mine is not like Love Balls, where you have to draw a line to get them together....it's more like a third person escape room game, but instead of a character, it's a ball.

Host

I said an escape room game would count (although it is on the line for sure) because escape room games usually do have some sort of plot and the puzzles relate directly to that plot and end up telling some sort of story through the puzzles. Unlike a game like Love Balls which is just a bunch of disconnected puzzles, and has no plot at all, and is at least somewhat twitch based, and plays much like a puzzle platformer, all the things that adventure games are not, thus I said it is the exact opposite of an adventure game.

I will go on to say that I don't know if you could shape your game idea into something that resembles an adventure game. However, as a basic rule of thumb, if you don't know whether or not the game you are planning is an adventure game, it probably isn't.

For people who have played hundreds of adventure games and are extremely familiar with the genre, it would be possible to stretch the definition a bit for their games because they are able to instinctively tell where the line is. However, if you're not as familiar with the genre to the point where you are wondering whether your idea is an adventure game, it's probably a good idea to just stick to the classic adventure game formula: point and click, inventory puzzles, dialog puzzles, and so forth.