Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Twine game where all the code is handwritten on sticky notes

A topic by DreamCartographer created May 12, 2023 Views: 272 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(+1)

I will also be making all the music and sound effects with an out-of-tune kalimba.

(That's this thing here, in case you were wondering)

How it will work: I'll write the code on large square sticky notes stuck to the pages of a sketchbook (for convenience and to avoid weird looks from my family), then use Google Lens on my phone to copy the text digitally. I discovered it has this nifty feature called "copy to computer", which means I can paste the code into Twine straight away! The code will include CSS  and (minimal) JavaScript, and exclude passage headings. I will also be editing my code this way.

I will be working with the Sugarcube story format for the second time ever, so there's a bit of a learning curve attached. So far I've done a bit of preparation in terms of story notes and creating the passages I think I'll need. These are all empty.

This whole thing is pretty daunting to be honest, and I can only hope I'll have the time and/or enough sanity to complete it all. But this jam is so cool that I couldn't not join in. Better to at least try, right?

Stay tuned for (hopefully) more updates! Let's see how much of a dent I can make in this thing.

(+1)

Behold, a working intro! Starting to learn a few things about how to make this work. Saving the more difficult stuff for when I have more brainpower. Coding should be... interesting.

woah! this already looks amazing!!

(2 edits) (+1)

The sheer silliness I've been going through trying to implement three lines of story JavaScript. Google Lens CANNOT recognise handwritten semicolons and it's been having a bit of trouble with spaces vs no spaces as well. Going to try to get the top one to work and probably ditch the other two.

Edit: It still won't accept my semicolons :') Don't know how it recognises stuff on random signs if it can't even see this. Anyway, I think Config.debug = false; might actually only be necessary to enable the other two lines of code. (Was borrowing the code from my other Sugarcube game and couldn't quite remember before.) 

Does that mean the JavaScript was a waste of time? Probably! But that's the point of the jam, I guess. And honestly... I still had fun :).

(Though I may or may not be thinking of finding a replacement for Google Lens just to see if it's better >.>)

Three sticky notes to implement, again, three lines of code. Unlucky number? Well, at least I got something done today. Though I'm starting to worry Google Lens is going to get stupider the more I use it.

(+1)

Oh no. 

I just realised something.

If Google Lens doesn't recognise handwritten semicolons... then how am I going to add CSS?

o_o;

Managed to draw a semicolon that consistently gets recognised as one. (At least, when it gets recognised at all.) Going to bend my own rules a bit and use Google Lens on it whenever I need a semicolon.