Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Possible to disable Autosave?

A topic by Gymcrash created Dec 20, 2020 Views: 105 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Is it possible to disable autosave (on the compiled version) - it's a little jarring, coming back to my game, and not having the full experience again from the beginning. I'm hoping I can disable autosave!

Host (1 edit)

Maybe I can add an option to disable it, but I have a feeling that 99.999% of players appreciate it, as without it, if windows decides to perform an update whilst you leave the computer unattended, or accidentally close the browser tab, or the battery runs out, then you will lose all you progress of you haven't been diligent enough to manually save often.

Typing restart or quit is super easy if you want to restart so my feeling is that it is doing no harm, and it's actively protecting against harm too.

Auto save was added because I encountered all the aforementioned problems regularly and autosave respects the players time so you don't lose progress through no fault of your own. We also can't expect all players to remember to manually save and load, especially beginners.

I'm considering the idea of offering continue or new game when you restart the game, but I haven't implemented this yet.

Chris

Submitted

Fair enough, those are good points that you can't argue with!

Maybe, in the future, the fact that a game has just been (auto) loaded could be exposed to the developer, so we could potentially offer a recap or summary of the adventure thus far or something! Not sure if text adventure games do this, but I think it would be a neat, user friendly feature.

And just thinking about that, there's nothing stopping me adding a 'recap' command right now that could summarise what the player has done so far...hmmm...

Host

A recap hook is not a bad idea.