On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Hi this topic is about my very old project not about showing it i need help i don't understand how to promote my project even just for alpha testing and i always think about it

A topic by Original Unautiсna created Jul 16, 2023 Views: 121 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7

You see, I came up with an idea a very long time ago, despite the fact that I didn’t release everything, I’m not sure when I finish the project will it get views, I’m tormented by this idea from the very beginning, of course I understand that it’s not soon, but still, what if the project is ready and not bad that it will just be ignored

because I didn’t give up to anyone, even my project, damn it all the same, I understand that people judge without knowing a lot and I’m worried

Host

Have you been doing any marketing for your game, or have any systems or startergies to test if your game will get views?

I don't have starters and I'm not really into marketing I would like to learn

(+1)

me too!

how do I understand you that very desire to be independent and powerful

You don't provide a lot of detail, so I'm assuming a few things : that this will be the first time you release a game that you consider bigger than your average jam game,  and also that you don't depend on game dev to pay the bills (you may have a job or be a student), and maybe the progress on your game is stalled because of your worries.

I believe you are putting yourself under a lot, and I mean a lot of unnecessary pressure here. If this is really your first game, you probably shouldn't aim for the stars on your first try, but rather try to complete something that you would enjoy playing first and foremost. Have fun making your game and polishing it. If you don't like your project, chances are few will.

Also, get feedback. As much as you can. I understand how scary this is, but if you are unsure whether your game will be liked, don't wait until the full game is done before showing it to people, this is a highway to disaster. You'll need feedback and suggestions on a regular basis in order to stay agile and fix stuff without having to break or undo lots of unwanted mechanics. This idea is yours, and only you can turn it into the game you envision, so don't be afraid to publish a demo, show it to your friends and family, and ask what they liked and didn't like about it. You'll get some criticism, some relevant, and some not. You'll have to sort that out and think about what you want to change.

Personally, community-wise, my short game dev experience has been nothing short of amazing. Sure I've seen trolls and mean useless words here and there, but for every troll, there are at least 50 people with constructive advice. Don't be afraid to join discords servers, share screenshots and demos, or join jams to try out ideas and develop your skills. Jams can get you a lot of views and quality feedback on an idea you want to try.

To sum it up, I think the most important thing is to have fun making your game. Life is short, do things that are fun for you!

everything rushed for a very long time, I was just starting to come up with a concept full of hopes, I didn’t know then where to publish the game, the maximum I could distribute it to cloud storage and through it I distributed the game through other fandom networks and YouTube, I just started the game, no one downloaded not surprising.

but besides that, it was really difficult for me, I just studied the engine. on this when I encountered deconstructive criticism. mentally died figuratively of course. I didn’t know where to go, and it was completely unnecessary for my parents to support me. I am very drooping. it lasted 4 years. during such a long period of depression, this anxiety came out of me.