Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are you using for inspiration? Sticky

A topic by Beth and Angel Make Games created May 31, 2022 Views: 130 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
HostSubmitted

If you've got a favorite band, lyric, song, whatever that really inspires you, feel free to share it! 

I personally love Atreyu's "In Our Wake", the metaphor of being some kind of powerful thing that "leaves everyone/everything in our wake" and it's up to us whether we leave things better or worse.

I also really love anything positive. My new fav is Aaj by Bloodywood. It's about getting fired up, tackling challenges, and taking on the day. I especially love these two lines: "I see a bright light waiting at the end of the tunnel, and I might die in the dark, but the pain is part of the struggle" and "I may fall but I'll risk it to fly, 'cause I would trade the ground just to kiss the sky".

With that said, I've got no idea what I'm doing for this jam yet lol but I wanted to share, and I'm intrigued by what others really enjoy :D

Submitted(+1)

I love listening to songs. Just when I want to creative something or just relax, I usually put on some tunes.

Lots of song I like but I think a good metal band would be Sabaton. They are like modern day bards that sing songs about the heroics and Valor of war veterans throughout human history. Since all their songs are based on various war subjects and key historic moments, there's endless ideas to make games from.

HostSubmitted

YES!!! Sabaton, and melodic/epic metal, are really fantastic for inspiration. I'm a huge fan of Blind Guardian (particularly the Nightfall in Middle Earth album), and I enjoy a lot of Stratovarious, a few Dream Theatre songs, Edguy has some great stuff, and Rhapsody of Fire has some amazing music as well. I love how sweeping and powerful the music is, and how even if you don't hear the lyrics (because you're busy or whatever) the music really captures that sense of adventure, whimsy, and exploration.

Submitted(+1)

The game I'm working on (and which, hopefully, I'll be able to finish by the end of the jam), is inspired by a song called From December by Project 86, though it also draws from my MFA thesis novel (which I listened to From December while writing, so there's some recursion there).

Here's an initial preview: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6mdixb2n5xan77/letters%20from%20december%20-%20intro%...

HostSubmitted

Oooooohhhhhhh nice!!!! I'll definitely be checking this out and listening to the song as soon as I can :D