Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Tips to get more reviews?

A topic by Giovane Machado created Aug 05, 2023 Views: 306 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

Hey, what are your tips and tricks to get more reviews in your games during the voting period?

Good luck everyone!

(+4)

Make sure that your game is playable in browser. Also it's important to make a good thumbnail - more on that here. One thing that usually annoys me / puts me off from trying out a game when I browse itch.io is the lack of screenshots and description which are visible when you highlight a game on itch.io (thanks to them you can see/read what the game is about without opening it's page, which highly increases the chance of your game being selected by potential players from among hundreds other ones)

Submitted

love it! Thanks!

Submitted

That point about making sure your game is playable in the web browser is an excellent one, and I've overlooked it in the past. 

With a web-based game it takes less time for reviewers to start playing, and it gets around the issue of not trusting the software that you download from strangers. Plus, it makes the game accessible to a broader player-base than just Windows. 

(1 edit) (+4)

Review other games. Not only review them, but take a time to leave a nice feedback to the developers. In most jams I took part, I could notice that when I left a feedback, the developer usually later also reviewed my game. And I gave priority to playing games from who gave me feedback. And that happens organically, no need to say in the end of the comment "please review my game too" ;)

More so, it is always nice to leave a positive feedback to other people.

Submitted

you're right! And the feedback are always great!

Submitted

Get it looking flashy early on in development then send lots of progress videos in the discord as both marketing and continuous feedback gathering is my usual approach. Basically have to when it's a download-only

Submitted

Yoh! That's a good idea! Getting some feedback an fans at the same time!

Submitted

Get it looking flashy early on in development then send lots of progress videos in the discord as both marketing and continuous feedback gathering is my usual approach. Basically have to when it's a download-only

Submitted

Other jammers have already stated some good points that should work. For a more “utilitarian” approach to receive more high-quality feedback, when you are browsing the submitted games, you should look into the review section and see:

1. Any reviewer that provides in-depth feedback on the game
  2. Whether the developer replies to their reviewers with self-reflection
  3. People that do both (You can click into their profiles and see their comment history)

If you play and give deep feedback to their games, these kinds of people will likely do the same to yours.

Submitted

Wow, I didn't know we could see that! Nice idea