Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Did anyone plan way a too big game too?

A topic by NetroAlex created Feb 20, 2021 Views: 427 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 11

I wanted to do a way too big game with story as a beginner developer (making my first game in my first game jam)

I actually brought it pretty far, I implemented lots of things and I was 50% done with the story, but I'm nowhere near the finishing line for my game and I have to go to sleep now so I can't finish it in the remaining 11h. I'll aim smaller by a lot for my next game jam, I'll definitely keep that in mind

Submitted(+1)

Good job anyway =) It happened to everyone. I wish you to be better in your next Game Jam

Thank you very much!

Submitted(+2)

yep, I always try to make a playable base game first with all the necessities and then add extra stuff if I have more time. This jam I had to scrap extra levels and a theme song with lyrics :)

Submitted(+1)

I loved your game Off Brand Hero! I'm interested to see what game you made in this game jam.

Submitted(+1)

Wow thanks a lot! This is definitely a smaller game but hopefully still has a bit of charm to it :) excited to try yours out!

That's what I wanted to go for, I actually left out a lot of stuff I wanted to add, but it still was too much

Submitted(+1)

Same here. I thought it was a good idea to make a metroidvania for some reason. I'll definitely finish, but I've had to work on it nonstop. I'm also a first-time jammer :D

(+2)

Likewise,  even after the game jam ends I will continue to finish this game >.<... Hope to play your game 

Submitted(+2)

I made a metroidvania for VimJam a few months back...never again. Respect!

(+1)

This is also my First Game Jam... I aim too high,..the game still has many bugs, although I have a clear idea of what my game should be. I thought that i can finished it, ....But its Fun to Just Try a Push myself to the Limit. Unsuccessful but Knowledgeable and enjoyable experience..

At least we learned that we should start making a playable game first, then we can add exra stuff :D

Submitted(+1)

I had bunch of extra thing I wanted to do, but ultimately ran out of time. Also I figured I'd put enough hours into it. Key is to start small, get it working, then add stuff. 

Submitted(+1)

Yeah I had a huge list of extras that I wanted to get to. Barely got to any of them.. But my main game came out fine so yay.

Submitted(+1)

As my first game jam too,  many people seem to over estimate how much it takes to program. I cut my game down from 10 levels to 5 levels, and had to cut mechanics that just didn't work out.  Remind we when you finish the game so I can play it, so you all your work won't completely be wasted. I had to drop out of game jams before and it can be tough.

Aight, I'll keep it in mind, hopefully I won't forget it, but I'll focus on making other things - I'm a bit burned out on the game I made for this jam, it might take a while

Submitted(+1)

This is my first game jam. I shouldn't have used the beta version of Unity. TT__TT

Deleted 3 years ago

Yeah, sounds good, but I did a game with a linear story which wasn't finished and I hadn't implemented some mechanics I really wanted to add and I had to go to sleep. I'll still finish it tho

Submitted(+1)

Me same! HaHaHa!