Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is using a self-made framework created post-jam and using external libaries allowed?

A topic by Daniel Iversen created Aug 04, 2019 Views: 458 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 9
(4 edits)

Is it acceptable to use a framework that was created by myself before the jam was announced? This framework handles stuff like graphics, audio, keyboard, game ticks, etc (i made it because It makes programming faster (for me) as I rarely forget the functions and functionality of my code in contrast to others) or does this violate the no external code rule.

The second thing is libraries like pygame (I am making it in python) allowed or does these also violate the no external code rule.

Sincerely. Daniel Iversen.

Jam Host

Hey Daniel!

Interesting question about your own framework. I'm a bit conflicted I must say, but I think it would be unfair to use something that others would not have access to (even though you could argue that's the case with some frameworks), but it would be amazing if you could get around without using your framework.

Pygame, on the other hand, is definitely allowed though!

Ok.  Thanks!

Have a great day!

Jam Host

No, because other's would still not have access to it beforehand.

What you could do is take the ideas from your existing framework and just rewrite them at the beginning of the game jam from scratch. Then you can build your game on top of that. I'm not sure how they can determine when code was written, so maybe it makes sense to also livestream and record your coding and link to it somewhere on this forum.

Deleted 3 years ago

Of course it gives users with pre-made engines a huge advantage, as it is a jam that focuses on the pre-made engine Unity.
It is not meant to use selfmade ones.

Host

Generally if you have your own engine you can use it granted that other people also have access to it before the jam and can use it to make their game as well.