Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How to attach Unity project

A topic by FloppyGameDev created Jul 24, 2023 Views: 386 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted(+1)

Can someone give a step by step explanation on how to successfully attach their project so that it doesn’t break and other people can do a new version of it? This is my first game jam.

Submitted(+1)

I certainly would like to know the same thing. I tried looking across the web, but couldn't find answers. Please reply soon!

you could probably upload the project to github, they make it really easy to post it and update it, and you will only need to post the link on the itch page so other devs can easily pick it up. And there are plenty of good tutorials online on how to upload projects to git.

(1 edit) (+3)

1. Find your project folder and zip it (I'm not sure can you exclude some files for Unity, but zipping the whole folder is sure way to do it)

2. On itch.io, open the menu next to your account in upper right corner. There should be Upload new project option.

3. Fill out any necessary info and add screenshots if you want (recommended).

4. Upload your zip file. Set it as "Source code". Optionally you also can upload a build of the project (for example, web export ) so ppl can easily test the project without building it themselves.

5. Save and take a look at the game page if it's good.

6. Return to edit game page (using edit button at the top, or via your dashboard from the menu upper right).

7. Important! You need to set your game as Public to submit it in a jam!

8. Go to jam page and click submit project. Select your project and answer the questions if the jam host has put some.

If this is your first time participating a game jam on itch, I recommend trying steps 1-6 already today. You definitely shouldn't leave it to the last minute, as you cannot submit after the time is up. The eighth step can't be done until the jam has started.

Also note that itch has initial limit of 1 GB per upload (I believe they can lift it by asking), so be sure your project doesn't get too big - be vary of adding massive packages and assets.

Edit: Also, be warned: after tasting what is it like to participate in a game jam, there's no turning back! Have fun!

Submitted

Better to Exclude the "Library" folder, since it is just a local cache and can be several Gb

Thanks for noting! I'm afraid this might end up being problematic for many.

For Godot users, .import or .godot folder has similiar purpose and can be safely excluded (altough it likely won't be too big unless you have a lot of assets).

Submitted

Thanks a lot! 

Submitted

Unity folders to add:

• Assets
  • ProjectSettings
  • Packages / UnityPackageManager

Source: https://forum.unity.com/threads/which-folders-should-i-add-to-git.608149/

Submitted

Wait, so which of these folders should I remove? 

Submitted

Sorry if you can't really see the file names!

Submitted

Remove user settings, correct?

Submitted

thank you!