SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

We have more than 10 years, let's talk about something

A topic by saeq12 created Sep 15, 2018 Views: 1,172 Replies: 23
Viewing posts 1 to 13

So what's up? ;)

(+4)

what if itch.io gets shut down? where will the project go? what if the host dies?does the jam continues? what if we die? will we honored for attending the decade jam?

Submitted(+3)

Someone will surely make a virtual graveyard for those who died doing what they loved.
Also, could we have a list somewhere of the "Production Babies" like in the movies ?

(+1)

I might make a game that is ridiculously long and then expect people to speedrun it.

Submitted

You know, time is relative when you're spedrunning ^^ hours long rpgs like Borderlands 2 can be finished in like 15 minutes.

Submitted(+2)

Are we limited to digital games only ? can we consider DecadeJam a game by itself ?

Submitted (1 edit) (+4)

This made me chuckle. I'd say feel free to consider it a game. The possibility of different interpretations adds value to things (art) and we can feel free to make those interpretations. This is an idea I got from Umberto Eco's "The Open Work", which is a great book and I will definetely finish it in a decade and I'd recomend you to read it too.

Now that we (at least I) consider the jam a game,  all we need to do it is submit the link for the jam to the jam once it starts and we'll have our first entry that complies to "The Decade Game" theme.

Edit after a year: https://itch.io/jam/decadejam/rate/786042

Anyone here that likes Gråtass??

Submitted

Well now i do. I think i spent 15 minutes looking at lovely pictures of grey tractors with eyes, or several other vehicles with similar shapes and eyes :) so thank you i guess.

Gråtass is awesome!

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted (2 edits) (+2)

Not very original considering every AAA company does this nowadays. But 9 sequels with each one of them being a different game from the former, now that is something i'd like to see :D

(+1)

Maybe make a game from a concept and make its sequels with the same story, character, concept but a different genre.

Deleted 3 years ago
(+1)

I've been having an idea like that for a while now. This might actually push me to do it.

BANANA

Submitted(+1)

Yes?

Submitted

Back to the original topic - dying during the jam is a definite possibility, so it might be a good idea to post "regular" updates every year or so. If you stop posting, then it would be assumed you either forgot, or died. I've actually thought about this a bit, but I think the only practical solution would be to post incremental updates to your game; i.e. hedging your bets.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

We should check on each other ^^ Starting the topic "Are you alive ?" right now

Submitted(+1)

Hmm. I might actually turn that into a game.
but game aside, yeah, we should definitely check out on each other :)

Submitted(+1)

I had writing a "Postmortem" in mind for each game I make during the jam, and now that I write this term sounds very odd in the context of possible death.

yep basically

(+1)

But, what if we don't play PC game on 2030? PC and mobile are obsoleted at that time? Or even those VR that now we known are obsoleted??

Or even, skynet have taken control of the world and we can't play anything with electronic ?

Submitted(+2)

Should that be the case, the tools and engines to make those games with and the platforms to publish them would advance, too, so we could just continue making games. And to play the old games by then there will definitely be possibilities, even in the case we don't use a PC to play anymore. Ten years is some time, but it's not so long that I'd expect a whole branch of hardware and software to just go extinct.

Hey! I'm super excited... to wait 10 years^^

(+4)

Love the excitement and wonderings people have regarding this jam. Yes, ALOT can happen in 10 years. So much can happen,  I'm 34 right now, going on 35 in February. I'll be 44 by the time this jam ends, that's pretty sobering. Where will we be, where will our country be, to where will our games, or even itch.io be in that time. As tech advances, maybe you'll port your jam game from PC to some other product or service which will be created within 10 years. Maybe we'll have to go underground because game development will be outlawed. So many maybes!

Whatever project or projects you end up working on, try to plan ahead, create milestones, have weekly, monthly, even yearly goals, and set yourself up for success as much as is in your control to do so.

I'm really looking forward to this jam and what I might create within this timespan. See y'all on the journey starting point! It's like taking the ring to Mordor! Or starting a trip to Mars, or an interstellar trip to the next galaxy. To the next frontier fellow itchians!