Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[devlog] prospector

A topic by MathiasKaindl created Oct 22, 2021 Views: 295 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted

I'm starting too late, so my goal is really going to be minimalistic - to add some actual playable content to the game! So far the game is just a tech demo of the engine I'm developing and while it helps me to test the mechanics, it's evidently not fun to play.

Just for the record, I'm starting with this (older picture, but not much has changed since):

So the goal is to add few more items, enemies, areas, effects, sounds etc. using the mechanics available at this moment.

Submitted

Link to the latest version: https://mathiaskaindl.itch.io/prospector

Submitted

So far, I have added new blueprint for Calm nano program:

New sphere shield, to be discovered in a hidden area, that protects agains procs:

And shake screen effect for explosions:

Submitted

Today, I have added a new secret area. It's covered by "black roof" to remain hidden until discovered:

In the new zone, there is a chest with the new Sphere shield, guarded by four Sentries.
They lock you in and attack your drone once you try to pick up the shield:

There are new trigger options to 1) initiate attack on player's drone and 2) toggle lights.
Submitted

I have (finally) added composition layers into the engine. Until now, some UI elements were drawn using a color texture only. With the composition layers, I can use also the normal maps and easily create effects like this:

Submitted

Today, I did the same for the dialogs - cursor now shine light on entities/level objects. It turned out to be more difficult than expected. I had to rework the containers to have dedicated sprite for the container itself and its content indicator to keep things manageable. I had to change the rendering pipeline to render tooltips & mouse cursor at the end. There were also few other fixes needed for this effect in real-time, for example the info bar for resources used color-only sprite from inventory and had to be excluded. Once I fix all the containers to have correct sprites, I would like to do one last thing for this challenge, a new area with a biodome to test (future) integration of farming mechanics.

Submitted

Kids are sick - no biodome for Devtober 2021. But definitely this year: