SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Postmortem] Anemia

A topic by neoo41 created Nov 01, 2021 Views: 304 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

[Introduction]

This game came out as an idea of "What if shooters drained your health over time?", tried to do a FPS but my pc is not powerful enough to do 3D games, so I made a 2D one based on "Super Crate Box".

[What went right]

I'm proud of my game, everything went smoothly, the enemy AI was something I was worried about because there are 4 enemies, so my first thought was to make a different script for every one of them, but instead I managed to do every enemy with the same AI, but with different attributes (speed, damage, health), I saved a lot of time doing this.

I learned a lot, from ilumination to different ways to improve my scripting, the weapon change cycle was particularly hard to code, because i had the algorithm, but at the moment to translate that to C# got me stuck for an entire day.

[What went wrong]

1st Build: The game started in the "How to play" scene with only text.

2nd Build: I forgot to code the death, so basically you were inmortal.

3rd Build: Somehow the walls, the character, the enemies and the bullet were invisible, they were there, but completely invisible.

4th Build: After messing a bit with shaders I noted that my pc doesn't support even the most simple shaders, so I used Swiftshader (a kind of OpenGL emulator) to test my game and worked perfectly, Unity emulates some shaders in the editor, but in the .exe there are no emulations and my pc doesn't render nothing.

[What to fix in the future]

• My pixel art: oh god I'm pretty bad in the art in general xD
  • My schedule: between my job and my occupations I worked around 1 or 2 hours at day and half of that time was testing or planning what to do next (on my free days where I worked more time)
  • My organization in code: I saw my code after publishing the game and it's all messy, so I'll try to use comments and regions in the future to work more efficiently

[Conclusion]

Devtober was fun, it was a good way to demostrate myself that I can disciplined enough to work for an entire month, congratulations to everyone who made a game for this jam!!

(+1)

Good job!