Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Any Ideas for this theme

A topic by King Dratonix created May 22, 2022 Views: 301 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4

I'm having a hard time thinking of a game idea for this game jam, so give me your that idea you won't use  

Submitted(-1)

A lot of people seem to have issues with finding ideas for the theme. I was stuck on it a bit too, and I think my idea is still pretty basic and predictable. A bunch of people die at the beginning of the game, and the actual game is them navigating the underworld trying to find a way to come back to life. Feel free to use this too, if it helps, since I don't think we'd end up with similar results anyway. For one, I'm using RPG Maker software, so unless you're a special unicorn that doesn't do coding like me, then the esthetics will be fundamentally different from the start. Then, the description I just gave is super general, and the specifics in interpretation of the premise alone are going to differ. So much more so the further you go into the game. Not to mention, the mechanics are going to make the whole thing different. I see people exploring the theme with 3D shooters, platformers, top-down view gameplay, etc.

What I'm saying is, just take any idea you like, even if it's not initially your own, and change some aspects about it to make it your own. There are too many variables for anyone to turn up with the same thing as the next person, so don't worry too much about being original, because you'll be unique anyway.

Anyway, I hope my rant was inspiring enough to get you going :) Good luck!

(+2)

Sure, if it's helpful, here's my full brainstorming list in case it inspires something :)

• Skeleton
  • Zombie
  • Ghost ← (the one I'm going with)
  • Poltergeist (+ some of this)
  • Possess (+ and probably some of this)
  • Lich
  • In heaven / hell?
  • Relive life
  • Time loop
  • It’s a wonderful life
  • Reincarnate
  • Circle of life
  • Buddhism better and worse reincarnations with goal to escape by letting go.
  • Beginning = start:
    • of race
    • of new life
    • of movie
    • of life backwards?
    • of journey (goal?)

Even if not, maybe try your own weird list!  I find it easiest to take a "no ideas are wrong" to start with and just let my mind wander on every word in the theme. 

GL!

Submitted

In the livestream where they announced the theme, they actually got all the viewers to help with brainstorming.  So if you go watch the last ten minutes of that you should get quite a few ideas :)