Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Would this entry be allowed?

A topic by Bownly created Jul 10, 2021 Views: 198 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

I worked on a small card game project for two weeks at the start of the year that I haven't touched since. (See: https://twitter.com/Bownly/status/1408954968304885764?s=20) I'd like to expand upon it for my GB Compo entry if that fits within the rules. It's potentially in a grey area between a "brand new game you barely started" and a "project you've been working on for months".

Here's a rough idea of the enhancements that I have in mind:

• Increase the unique card count from ~4 to ~10+ (the numbered cards 2-7 all function identically, so I'm counting them as 1 card for the purposes of these values)
  • Improve the AI to account for the new cards/strategies
  • Change the game rules from using 1 shared deck for both players, to having each player use their own deck
  • Add deck building instead of the current system of using a single, static deck for every game
  • Implement a progression system for card acquisition and leveling up deck capacity
  • Add a (likely barebones) story/campaign (think the GBC Yu-gi-oh games if you're familiar with them)
  • Add sfx/music
  • Add menus
  • Overhaul the existing UI/graphics and throw in some animations 
  • Add 1 v 1 linked versus (time permitting)
Host

I’m sorry but just “planning” to upgrade an existing game is against the spirit of the competition and can’t be allowed.

Re using engines, scripts and fragments of code is okay, but once you have game mechanics already laid out it makes little sense for the scope of the jam :(

Submitted

As I see it, the game in its current form is more of a PoC tech demo than a full game, but I can see why the mod team might think otherwise. Heck, I wouldn't have even posted this thread if I didn't think it was in a grey area. That said, I was hoping that reusing basic stuff like the deck and card classes and a chunk of the basic game-flow would fall under the "[r]e using engines, scripts and fragments of code is okay" category. That's why I listed out all of the improvements that I'd like to add--to illustrate what a small percentage of the final game would be old stuff. To me, it's not substantially different than, say, starting a GBS project with the logic for objects, walking, collision, map generation, etc. already in place. But, hey, I get that it's ultimately a subjective call, and I intend to comply with the mod team's decision. I can just as easily scrap this project and come up with some other idea.

Host

Thanks for understanding!