Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Show some respect to other participants

A topic by pev285 created Aug 07, 2019 Views: 285 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+4)

I can understand everyoune's desire to get more ratings. I have it myself. And the discussion board is full of "rate for rate" messages and it's somehow ok. I have that sin too.

But people, we should have some limits. If someone starting just posting his link on every game pages without even noticing he posting on the same page several times, it shows how low he values other community members and their time.

I personally rated and commented about fifty games and answered every comment I have. But I got only 24 rantings. And I think that's ok. Sombody answered me, sombody didn't. I don't think they are obligated to do it.

Let's be good neighbors for the jam sake. Let's leave game rate page comments for comments about games. It should've been jam about game design, not about marketing.

Submitted (1 edit)

I think itch.io seriously lacks good visibility balancing. Not sure what they're doing under the hood but the submission page seems entirely random.

Ludum Dare has a filter selection, the default of which bubbles up games that have a high rating ratio. That is to say developers that rate more of other people's games gain more visibility: (ratings given / rating recieved).  On the whole it works pretty well for maximising vote distribution relative to participation, and minimised the reliance on devs spamming for attention - though this still happens to some degree.

I would be keen to raise awareness of this to the GMTK team and see if they can action any structural changes for the next jam.

==Edit=================
Just noticed itch.io does have a submission filter, but it IS random by default and there's no natural balancing. Also I expect most people use the default filter. It make sense for itch.io core game library, but not during a voting period for a jam in my eyes. Thoughts?

Current filter options:
* Popular
* Random (default)
* Least rating
* Most ratings
* Submission order
* Most recently submitted

Submitted

https://itch.io/t/527869/karma-system-for-the-game-jams
I've created this thread in their community suggesting exactly that a few hours ago, would be nice to have you guys support in there.

Submitted

Thanks for elevating this to the wider itch.io community, I'll chime in on the other thread

Submitted

Nice,

I hope they improve this system, it would be benefitial to all jammers :D

so sorry to hear that.... I have rated your game...  

don't feel sad... its an overcrowded game ... and one has to recurrently try, claw  and make space for them to  a better position... 

cheers.... taking shit with smile on face is an art :P :D 

Submitted

Agree!

But one of the problems I had rating other games was simply that they exported for Windows only. I do not own a Windows, and without a cross-platform deploy (as browser, for example) or Linux version, I cannot give a rate back...

It makes me sad, but I cannot respond to all the rate-2-rate request even when I want to :(

Submitted

That's not actually the user's fault, it's due to their filtering system, I've suggested in their forum to use the same system that we have on LD:

https://itch.io/t/527869/karma-system-for-the-game-jams

Submitted

I agree, I feel like my game has gotten plenty of ratings to get a semi accurate average, so it's time to stop sniping every single rate swap post and let others take the spotlight. that sucks that not everyone rated though.