Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Hey Everyone! - Introductions, Reply Below! Sticky

A topic by Xenefia created Jun 06, 2023 Views: 180 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Before we all start making any games, I think we'll need to learn about who's participating and what they're interested in doing.

I'm Xene, a 4th year University student studying "New Media" and Management. I have taken a couple of game dev classes at my school, but the experience wasn't great and I think missed a lot of important instruction, especially on the coding side. I joined this game jam because I just happened to be starting studies into things like State Machines on my own, and figured I might learn best in a game jam led by someone who knows what that stuff is about. 

My primary skills are mostly around art, but I don't intend to do much or any of that for this game jam unless needed, as I want to properly learn the coding side of things, especially things that might help me later in making 2D pixel games in Love.

Host

Hi Xenefia, thank you for posting. Don't be discouraged, I hope people will pitch in soon. Now's a good time to teach about the Praeto distribution, ie "80% of outcomes are due to 20% of causes." As pertains to game jams, that can mean that 80% of the work is done by 20% of the participants. The people posting here will likely be part of that 20%.

Yup, I definitely felt that in my game dev classes! Even where every student was being graded on their participation, there were still a number of students who never even managed to submit anything by the end, and where some few other students ended up building almost everything. It's a lot easier to click "Join this Jam" than to actually follow along and make something!

Hey guys, I still intend on participating!

I have a Computer Science degree but little experience in coding games specifically and little with Unity. I do have some 2D art experience and plenty in music/sfx. Worst case scenario we could surely get a single game made between us all?

For sure! I have some friends who regularly make their own games. The difference with less people is just that we're limited to how much we can accomplish in a limited time frame, whether that means cutting back on graphics, features, stability, or something else depending on the skillsets available.

Hi everyone, I’m Rin Ive been unable to reply as I’ve ended up in the hospital unfortunately. I don’t have access to my PC so I’m not sure if there will be any way for me to participate or not? I do have my iPad but I know you were thinking of doing a 3D game so procreate won’t be suitable. Let me know where you guys are up to with the Jam/game and if there’s any way I can join in. Nice to meet everyone! 

Honestly it sounds like most people responding have 2D skills xD that's my preference as well, idk if that's ok under the jam rules or not. In any case, I'm sure you could do design work for either type of game in procreate

Okay sounds good, thank you so much for your reply and Im really look forward to starting! 

Host

Hi Rin, I just got out of the hospital myself, I hope you are doing well. I take it you want to contribute art? If you're up to it, try concepting the level. Take a look at one finger death punch and add realistic feudal japan elements.