Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game Ideas

A topic by Itizso created May 09, 2021 Views: 355 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(3 edits) (+4)

If anyone is looking for a game idea I thought I'd share this one with the Level Up Circle community. 

I'm not participating in this jam but I thought it would be good practice to come up with some ideas.
Feel free to use it if you like. If anyone else has ideas to share that would be cool too :)

Okay, so here's the idea I hatched over breakfast ;) 

An endless game where you have to incubate eggs by keeping them at the right temperature (till they hatch) but you only have one lamp to warm one egg at time. 

The goal is to try and hatch as many eggs as possible.

Mechanics:

• The player can move the lamp left or right to position it over an egg. 
  • The temperature of the egg the lamp is over will increase.
  • The temperature of the eggs the lamp is not over will decrease.
  • The player needs to move the lamp between eggs to keep each within the temperature range. 
  • Each egg has a count down to the time when it will hatch.

Success conditions:

• When the count down of an egg to hatch reaches 0, the egg hatches, the player's score is increased and a new egg is added in it's place.

Fail conditions:

• The game ends when the temperature of any egg is too high or too low.

Difficultly could be adjusted based on:

• the rate at which the temperature rises or falls.
  • the rate of the time to hatch.
  • the number of eggs.

Do you think this is an eggcellent idea, or is it not all that it's cracked up to be?
If anyone does eggsecute this let me know and I'll chick it out ;)
I suggest a web version which is platform eggnostic and will work on any browser (eggcept obviously microsoft eggsplorer ;)

I think that's a fine idea. It's cute and real-world-relevant. If time permits, you might also make different types of eggs that appear randomly, and produce different kinds of hatchlings. It might include wacky surprises like clown-chicks or dinosaurs. Advanced levels could have multiple incubator groups, each with its own lamp, and the player has to manage the lamps of all the groups. Maybe sometimes a predator hatches and tries to eat an adjacent egg. Maybe a unique egg type that takes a bajillion times longer to hatch, but produces some bonus if it succeeds. Also the hatchlings could have a health value that reflects how perfectly their egg was incubated, and achieving superior hatchling health rewards with bonuses. There's lots of ways one could go with this, it could be a game I'd like to play.

(2 edits)

Thanks! Those are really great ideas. Unfortunately I don't have time to work on this game before the jam deadline, so instead I decided to post it in case someone needed some inspiration. But it was good practice at least to develop an idea based on the theme. Thanks again for the feedback :)

(1 edit) (+1)

Looks like someone else thought it is a good idea, too. =D

https://alialani.itch.io/incub8

Eggscellent! Thanks for letting me know. I'll chick it out :)

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Saw your post a couple days ago and made an entry for the jam using it. https://ninjaboi8175.itch.io/incuboratory . Still working on it before the deadline. Seeing as how someone else has already made one based off it shows it was a popular idea. Thanks for sharing it! :)

(+2)

Cool! Looks like you're off to  a frying start ;) I look forward to seeing more! Good luck.