Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Playbook Progress for Warmshadegames

A topic by WarmShadeGames created Jan 25, 2023 Views: 92 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Hello all!  I'm Patrick and excited to be working on this game jam!

I currently have two playbooks I'm working on for this.

One is "The Alien" for MonsterHearts 2.  I took inspiration from senses of isolation and "otherness", specifically from my own identities but I hope it can be more broadly applicable.  I was actually a bit surprised when going back through the book there wasn't an Alien since I would call that one of the classic monsters, but am happy it gives me from space to work with.

The other is "The Parasite" for Fellowship.  It's much more of a rough idea, but i thought it would be interesting to design a playbook where you rely upon your companions even moreso than usual and come up with interesting ways to interact and what they mean.

If anyone is familiar with either game and willing to discuss the playbooks more, please let me know!  I'm hopeful I'll be updating this semi-regularly.  

Submitted

How's it going? You haven't updated, and I was interested in what you were working on. I haven't heard of either of the systems you mentioned, and I only just found out about playbook-style games. I've been running myself ragged looking up all the different games. It's like a brand new world for me, and I've been playing TTRPG's for 40 years and making games for 20, so this is super-exciting for me!

Submitted

Thanks for checking in!  I really enjoy playbook style games and certainly feel drawn towards them.
Work is going well!  The Parasite (now renamed to The Symbiont) is most of the way done.  I'm mostly just tweaking it at this point.  I'm also hoping to draw some art for it sometime over the next few days.

The basic gist is you get a Host who works similar to how Companions do in the game, but with some extra bonuses.  So in addition to making your character, you make a special NPC with any two stat of your choice, based on what your Host is.  So you might give your host say "Just Bones" and "Horrifying Visage" if you are puppeting around a skeleton.  Or "Keen Snout" and "Cute as a Button" if your host is a little pig.  Whenever that stat is applicable, you get a bonus.  The big problem is figuring out a way to say "These should be normal abilities, not something that would make your host a hero in your own right.  Don't go crazy and the GM can shoot your ideas down" in a more succinct and clear way.

In exchange for getting this NPC you're also really weak on your own.  If you ever get separated from your host, you are have Despair (you roll 3d6 and drop the highest where you would normally just roll 2d6).

I'm really happy with the options available for customization and general theming though.

The Alien has kind of been on the backburner with the other playbook my focus, but it also has a good amount of work done.  I have the core idea pretty solid and have started to expand on some of their move options.

I'm excited to get these both submitted though!

Submitted

My Fellowship playbook is submitted!  I'm very happy with it.  

I'm in a discord server with the dev for Fellowship who took a look at it and said "Having now read this, this rules, extremely good.  A+ job, would recommend for regular fellowship play"

I really enjoyed putting this together and am hopeful I will also finish The Alien for Monsterhearts by the time the jam is over.