Theme Announced

A topic by Ottomated created Oct 16, 2021 Views: 2,162 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Host(+1)

Theme

Foddian Games

(see here for details)

What is a Foddian game?

Think Getting Over It, Jump King, or Pogostuck. A Foddian game is generally unforgiving, has no real checkpoints, and has a constant threat of losing huge chunks of progress.

This doesn't mean you need to make a 2d platformer! You could, or you could take the Foddian spirit, and create something original and creative - incorporate rhythm, or exploration, or survival, or RPG mechanics, or whatever you can come up with!

Any questions about how the theme works can be asked in this thread. Playlist of Foddian games here.

(1 edit) (+1)

Generally, Foddian games can take multiple hours if not days to complete. What's the game length supposed to be for the jam?

Also, do procedurally generated games still fall under Foddian?

Host(+1)

There's no required game length, but I would say people should be able to get the gist of the game within 15-30 minutes.

You could make a procedurally generated Foddian game, but just being procedurally generated doesn't make it Foddian. It's more about the gameplay.

Submitted

Are all difficult Rogue-likes considered Foddian games? Does there need to be climbing? In a Foddian RPG, are characters allowed to level up?

Host

I think what generally separates a roguelike from a Foddian game is that roguelikes are generally made up of different levels instead of a single large level like most Foddian games. There doesn't need to be climbing, although climbing is a really easy way to make a game feel Foddian.

As far as I know, there aren't any Foddian RPGs out there to work from, it's up to you to figure out what feels Foddian in that context.

Is saving allowed?

Host

There are no rules around what game mechanics are "allowed". You have to decide for yourself whether it fits the theme.