Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Newbie Support group

A topic by Yingvar created 33 days ago Views: 116 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(+1)

Hey all, I joined this jam and am brand new to game programming. Have a degree in information technology but not the best at it. Started learning just a month ago and wanted to make games to help people with mental/physical health issues. (I Have ADHD and Fibromyalgia) 

I know this is a competition but considering the theme I really want to start a support group on here for my fellow devs that suffer from mental difficulties, anxiety, physical limitations... etc. (New or veteran doesn't matter) There's threads looking for groups on dev teams but here I'd like to be a place to help motivate and help the other groups. Yes I'd like to win if I pulled that off somehow as a newbie but only because everyone else did their best.

I have a lot of experience helping myself and many others through trauma and stress (Originally wanted to be a therapist and teacher and done some schooling in these fields.) I am not a credited therapist in any way so this is just friendly support, do not take anything I say as professional help. Please seek a professional if needed.

I just know doing this by myself with ADHD and lots of nerve pains it can easily stress me out and loose motivation. Sometimes just being able to vent about a programming frustration or lack of productivity to people that can relate to you can help get you moving. 

I don't think this violates the rules, if it does I'm sorry and please let me know how I can modify this to work. I just think a support group here for mental health would just perfectly align and get people into the right mindset. :)

PS. Sorry I ramble easily.

First post:

So to start, I made this post because I know almost exactly what I want to make. But I'm just staring at the screen with major executive dysfunction and no idea how to start. I'm still working on an art direction and perspective. Like side or top down for example. 

Got a fidget toy and lo fi music going and lots of water with me. Just trying to get the first line of code going to build something to work off of. Feel free to share what you did to get things moving for this jam or if you're running into a brick wall to and what is challenging you. Please don't share specifics about your game unless you have no issues sharing that with everyone. But I recommend not being specific on ideas people might steal that make your game stand out. I don't want you sabotaging yourself by accident.

Love you all and good luck. Let's try to make this world a little better with our games. :)

Hi! I like the idea so much <3 Maybe organizers can create a discord channel dedicated to the jam motivation? 

This is my second jam and I worry about the art. I love pixel art but I'm not any good at it. Also I do not know anything about other digital art styles. But I want to do everything myself :D I'm doing this jam to remind myself that I can code just for fun as I think I might get work burnout soon (I'm a front-end developer).  I also have this thing that I abandon projects often, and this jam is so long I worry about motivation too. 

On the positive side I'm excited because only on the second day I have my game idea quite clear so I can start planning. I loooove planning. Also I'm looking forward to seeing other games.