Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Sharing Godot Character Controller

A topic by Dragon1Freak created Feb 13, 2022 Views: 243 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+5)

TL;DR: I made a 2D platformer character controller for Godot that you can find here

I know general-purpose code like movement scripts are allowed to be worked on prior to the jam starting but I still felt like I was cheating while working on the base character controller for my planned platformer, so I wanted to share it with anyone here that might be working with Godot and is in need of one!  It's not perfect but I described what I could in the comments, it supports jump buffering and coyote time as well as sprinting and jump canceling.  Most of if not all the used values are exported, so you can just slap the script onto your character or extend it and fiddle with the values in the inspector, and the majority of the logic is abstracted into functions you can override in your own class for better control.  

Hope this helps someone, good luck to everyone participating!

Submitted

I'm working in Godot as well! and while I'm not in need this is very cool and cool of you to share! It looks very in depth and well made. Certainly more complicated than mine, but part of this jam for me is challenging my tech skills.

It also makes me curious what the breakdown of engines/frameworks is for this jam's participants. Do we have other godot people in the house?

(+1)

I'm using scratch partly because that's basically all my computer can do and I have the most experience with it

Submitted

I think using whatever one has the most experience with is the best, especially in a jam. probably not a great time to learn a new engine.

Submitted (1 edit)

I'm using Unity3D (making another 2.5D game). I was also considering sharing the CharacterController I've been building (for the same reason :p), but it's not in any state that's ready for that as I'll still be putting plenty of polish into it throughout the jam. Maybe once I'm happy with it I'll clean it up, comment it, and share it as well.