Jobs
Tags

Devlog #4: Space Cargo Hunter

A topic by RodGG created Jul 27, 2023 Views: 413 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Space Cargo Hunter

Late for the jam but here we go!

My main goal for this game is to use my JavaScript abilities to make a space-exploring game.

My challenges/difficulties

Physics: Since i am going to use vanilla JavaScript, the physics and movement of the game will be impacted.

Art: Not experienced in pixel art.

Using the jam theme in this game, if you have an idea please share :)

About/Theme

In Space Cargo Hunter, you take on the role of a space pilot/explorer who travels the galaxy gathering cargo/resources to sell for upgrades in your planet base.

You can find cargo in space stations, on asteroids, and in abandoned ships.

The goal of the game is to become the most successful space cargo hunter in the galaxy. You can do this by gathering as much cargo as possible and selling it for a profit.

Features of the game/Goals for MVP:

• A vast galaxy to explore, no borders! (Priority for MVP)
  • Upgrade your planet base (Priority for MVP)
  • A variety of different types of cargo to gather
  • Land in planets (Not important right now)

Here are some of the challenges of the game:

• Dangerous asteroids and space debris (Priority for MVP)
  • The need to upgrade your ship to explore farther away.
  • The need to manage your resources carefully
Submitted

Nice idea, looking forward to this. 

An idea for the theme, although this might be stretching it, maybe cycle through the weather depending where you are in the galaxy? One place has massive asteroid storm, another is so hot that your ship loses health/cargo the longer you stay there? It might take too long to set up but just a thought

Submitted (1 edit)

Update #1

Stars in the background to show simple movement.

But need better movement of stop and acceleration.

Submitted(+1)

Update #2

• Changed the acceleration and stop movement. So smooth (gif don't really show)
  • Added more stars to give  more perspective.
  • Trying a new color palette too.
  • X and Y positioning, you can travel for minutes(did not check the max distance, probably infinite)
  • Next i will try to add a compass to help navigate.
Submitted(+1)

Maybe for the cycles theme you can  have upgrades cycle around you planet like satellites. Excited to see where this goes!

Submitted(+1)

You're making good progress, i might just steal that smooth movement :)

Submitted

Update #3

• Added items to grab with magnet motion towards player.
  • Grab Cargo and sell at the Market and receive Credits.
  • Wanted something involving random chance, so i added the Upgrade Station, spend credits and receive random upgrade.
  • Added enemy ships with following movement.

This is awesome... and in Javascript, who knew! I didn't know it was so good for making games. The parallax on the stars is really nice.

Submitted

Thanks man, every star is an object that restart position when out of the view, i made 3 layers with different speeds.  With vanilla JavaScript the physics is from scratch, a better way is probably using a framework.

Submitted

This looks great, and only using java script as well. Looking forward to playing it

Submitted (1 edit)

Update #4

The art really push me back, since i wanted to put more features i tried to make a very basic art, not what i had in mind.

Next i want to finish the compass, showing in the corner the direction where your base is.

Still trying to make enemies face the player in the battle zone