Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] RuffTale

A topic by MindlessRuff created Jan 25, 2020 Views: 175 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted (2 edits) (+2)

Greetings fellow jammers! I'm MindlessRuff and I am quite excited to be joining this game jam with everyone. I decided to record a short video for my first log, I talk a little bit about who I am, what I am planning for my game, and so on.

Let me what you think! I will be streaming my progress starting tomorrow at 10:00AM PST if any one would like to drop by and ask me programming related questions or just hang out!
https://twitch.tv/mindlessruff

-Day 1 Post added

Awesome! Great to see how someone else approaches a game jam! Especially helpful since this is my first. Excited to see how your game turns out!

Submitted(+1)

Day 1

Had some fun today doing my base artwork and moving my main character around.  I was able to create some placeholders for two characters as well as a tile.

I ran into a bug when playing around that resulted in some hilarious antics.

Tomorrow I will be looking to adding some additional sprites to move smoothly animate the motion. I've never animated anything thus far, so I am quite nervous. When I get stuck moving forward on the animation I plan to try and create the main music loop.

The theme of my game is evolving into a top down 2D adventure. I will be also working on creating a dialog sequence for interacting with the Ice Puppy NPC you can see above. Any feedback on the character and tile sprites would be greatly appreciated.
Host

omg i LOVE seeing fun bugs like this. thank you for sharing!!! it looks like honestly youre making really good progress already! and don't be afraid to keep animations very simple as you start to figure out mechanics and spend time getting the game parts done. your vid devlog was very cool too! it sounds like you have a good idea how to approach the game.

Submitted

Week 1 Update

I had difficulties working on my game during the week due to work, however there have been some updates to the core gameplay mechanics I would like to get feedback on.

First of all, completing a dialog with our friendly Ice Puppy NPC here will allow the character to unlock his ice breath ability.

He can then use this to melt some of the cat enemies which will chase him as he progresses forward.

I am wondering what I should do in the remaining time to offer a better gameplay experience. I don't want to add too much to my plate and not complete my goal. Some ideas I have involve generating some procedural levels, improve the enemy AI,  or change the the ice breath to a projectile. Or would it be better to focus on the user experience such as proper player/enemy healthbars, a 'power bar' for the player so they can't spam the breath, or any other suggestions. Any comments or feedback will be greatly appreciated.