Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Cellblock: Inspection

A topic by Seik Sugaloth created Jan 09, 2021 Views: 238 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(2 edits) (+1)

Your job is to patrol the prison cells and make sure the prisoners stay locked up.

There are a ton of cells, and you have a limited amount of time. Take notes on any suspicious activity as you walk by, and make a report at the end of your shift. 

Prisoners may be trying to hide contraband in their cells. Keep an eye out.

Some have escaped from their cells, but not from the prison yet. They may be trying to hide in another cell. Keep an eye out for how many prisoners are supposed to be in each cell, and check their descriptions.

Day zero:

Once I knew the theme came out, I started thinking of ideas and setting a plan for me to follow to hopefully finish a game on time.

Day one:

First off, making sprites for me to work with. Images are being made in Gimp, then put into Godot. I'm doing pixel art because I feel like it is fast, and I can make it look decent.

The idea is that each guy will have a unique look, based on hair, eyes, nose, and general weight. Of course, hair can be cut/dyed, eyes can be hidden behind glasses, and weight can be simulated by using a pillow. Since they can't be hidden, noses will not be used by the game to identify individuals, just to add more looks. 

Here is my work so far:

Evidently, I forgot that I can't do art. I will be working on making them better later. 

aaaaaaand the eyes look really similar. Eye color needs to be exaggerated. Good to know.

Right now, there are only 6 guys that can be made... I should work on the hair... Then there will be 18. Oh boy...

Next up, I will be working on random convict generation, including unique names. I will also try to quickly make better sprites so that I can add unique noses so that I can have 54 different convicts. 

Note that there will (hopefully) be more options for prisoners later, this is just a start.

Submitted(+1)

Sounds like a solid premise, and very appropriate for the theme, too. Good luck! :D

The idea sounds quite interesting, having the player to remember the state of each cell and whatever prisoner should be there sounds quite interesting.
Would be waiting to try it out :).

Really like the idea! I can see this being a fun puzzle game with individual challenges surrounding similar-looking characters or their locations. Can't wait to see more! 

(+2)

Day two:

I kind of got tired of the old sprites, so I made better ones in half the time. I spent the rest of the day working on generating random guys and starting the framework for each cell.

Basically, what I have now is a global script that holds references to each sprite for the bodies, eyes, hairstyles, and noses. There are also arrays for hair colors, first names, and last names. There are 50 of each name, so hopefully, there won't be many repeats.

I got all names from the Seventh Sanctum quick name generator. I am so happy that such resources exist.

So far, my game is simply a random crook generator. Here are some screenshots of their new looks:

Tomorrow, I'll finish up the rooms, and might start working on the hallways.

Submitted

Name generators definitely save a lot of hassle with these sorts of projects. Keep up the good work! : >

(+1)

Days 3 & 4:

I promise I have been working on this, I just haven't had the time to write it all down in the devlog.

So on day 3, I really wanted to get the rooms up and running. So I did more art! My primary focus was making it look 3d, so I tried desperately to remember how to do 1 point perspective drawing, then apply it in pixel art.

There is no shading, but I am still proud of my work!

Here is what I spent all of day 3 working on:

Excited with this new piece of art, I put it into my program, and generated my first room.

...and the guys are way too small for the room. 

So I changed up the idea slightly: Instead of a single cell with up to 4 guys supposed to be there, you will be looking at 4 cells with up to 2 guys each.

So that's what I did on day 4. 

I  also made sure that they could only be positioned on the ground, not the bed nor the desk.

Here are some of the results. Not only do they show the new room layouts, but also show the various amounts of guys in any given cell.

There is a rare chance that there will only be one guy in all four cells. I came across an instance of this while working on an area for notes to be given and made:

Today, I am currently working on displaying the info for each guy and will make sure certain rarities don't happen at all,  such as two guys who look way too similar (the nose can't be the only difference), and all cells being empty.