Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Helmet Point: A platformer with special mechanics.

A topic by Mcniner created Feb 02, 2023 Views: 427 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted(+1)

Helmet Point

Helmet Point is a small prototype for a larger game idea I plan to create. It is a platformer being developed in PICO-8. 

Recently, I was playing Celeste. I really liked the game, but I felt like something was missing. Something that could make it exactly what I thought a perfect platformer was. It involved the dash mechanic. In Celeste, the dash is a sudden burst of energy, throwing Madeline forward. However, there were two things that I was longing to do in the game:

1. Momentum-What if the dash provided more momentum to your character, increasing your speed as well, but making it easier to accidentally run into spikes or enemies?

2. More Space-In Celeste, most of the levels are set in caves of a mountain, or a hotel. These areas provide less space for dashing, and limit the mechanic. What if it was more like Mario, were you are more free to jump?

My plan is to create a game with these changes to the platformer. The game will play like Mario, but you can dash around. Dashing increases momentum, and with enough momentum you can speed around like sonic.

The story of the game is pretty nice: Sir Lancelot, one of the knights of the round table, has been in many battles. In on of these battles Lancelot's helmet was enchanted without his knowledge. His helmet is now sentient, and is very sad about being left out of all of these battles. He is tired of being overlooked as a mere piece of armor, and has decided to go on an adventure of his own. 

I hope I can finish a nice prototype and continue and make a full game!

Submitted(+1)

Like your idé, played Celeste alot. What makes it even better is that you're developing in PICO-8 which Celeste was originally created in before they made their full game :)

Submitted (2 edits)

I have the dash mechanic working, and I have the sprites pixel art drawn. I am working on creating the levels. There will be three levels. There is one power up that I have created called the Power Ore. The Power Ore keeps the player character in a dash state for about 5-10 seconds, which is essentially invincibilty. One problem that I have stumbled across is that the background of the 1st level is blue, and the character is blue. This means that it is harder to see the character when they are high up. Luckily, this is not noticeable since the level does not have many high up sections.

A screenshot of the game

The problem with the blue character and backdrop
Submitted

The glitch orb in the game glitches out the game-on purpose! Playing a level during the glitch is a challenge, only for the best players.

It's a glitch!
Submitted

Wow. The final level I designed is HARD, and the other 2 levels are as well. It seems like this game may be pretty difficult.

Submitted (1 edit)

Helmet Point will be in the Mid-Jam Playtesting that happens February 4th-5th! Check in the Playtesting Thread on the 4th and 5th for the link to play it!

Please be aware that this version is a beta and may be buggy. If you play the game and find any bugs please tell me in the comments of the game page during the playtesting time.

Submitted

Holy crap this is good! I loved playing it. Admittedly I gave up when the boss kept kicking my ass XD but I loved what I played! :D 

Submitted(+1)

lookg great :o

(+1)

OMG is soo good. a game platformer for pico-8. i can wait. good luck

Submitted

You can play the games beta here.

ok thank ! i will try.

Submitted(+1)

I have finished the game! You can play it here.

I really had fun developing Helmet Point. It is my first platformer, and it was very fun to learn to pragram all the different mechanics in the game, such as gravity and the dashing. I will continue to make games. Helmet Point was my second major game I have created, the first being a roguelike. A platformer is very different than a roguelike, so it was a new and fun experience.

Have fun playing!

Submitted(+1)

I honestly hope you come back to Helmet Point one day in the future! :D The game feel is super nice, makes me think of Wario Land with the charge but way smoother! I'd honestly pay money for a full Helmet Point game!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, that makes me really happy. I'm glad you liked it!

(1 edit)

i love your project. i'm hope of a  suite of the game and thank you.

hi just a question, a you have fix the texture buggy ?

-Mathias

Submitted

I'm still not entirely sure about what the bug is. Is there a screenshot that you can post?

no i'm on prise a screenshot, the next time i share the sreeenshot .