Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Prerendered sprite filters for performance.

A topic by Sunetraalex created Jul 22, 2022 Views: 236 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Hi! I would like to ask if it's within the rules to have multiple versions of a single sprite with filters applied to allow less powerful devices to not have to rely on live effects that could results in bugs or an unintended experience if not working properly.

What I mean specifically for my case is about applying a blur effect at different intensity on the sprite. It can be done in code, but since it is for a static image I was wondering if it would be fine to show the blurred sprite without relying on postprocessing effects.

If it's not allowed, what are the limits of postprocessing effects on a sprite?

Jam HostSubmitted

Hello!
This has already been answered in the FAQ so I’m going to ask you to  have a look there, and if you do have any further questions to please post a comment on there. This way we can keep everything in the same place. Thank you!!!

Short answer: Not allowed, and more info in the FAQ.

Submitted

Thank you very much! I'll check the FAQ.

Host

Hi there Sunetraalex, forgive us for changing our minds on this ruling but we've determined that we'll allow slight asset variances between web and downloadable versions of games as long as the downloadable version follows the rules for the sake of optimization. We recognize that not all potential players may have the bandwidth or storage to download many games at a time, so offering a web version that is accessible to more players is beneficial.

If applicable, we recommend that you note if there are any differences between web and standalone versions of your game in your page.

We will update the FAQ soon with this new ruling.

Submitted(+1)

That's OK!

I'm glad my question helped others making their game better.

I'm planning on using Monogatari as the game engine so I would have only a web version, what I was concerned about was wether the player's devices (especially older phones) would support the modern filters and effects that you can use with CSS, so a prerendered sprite applying those effects should fix the problem of having a tragic scenario like:

"Now I'm going to reveal the face of the villain... But it was visible from the start because the filters didn't work!"

In that situation I think I'm still outside of the rules though, so I already came up with a way to avoid the issue altogether.