Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Just submitted a new class for OSE, does anyone have any pointers for me?

A topic by Accaris created Mar 15, 2022 Views: 194 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

First time making anything OSR and I'm no expert by any means. Wanted to import our dragon race into the game. A few people have already said it's pretty dang powerful for OSE, but that a really slow XP rate should balance it. I'll take any tips!

https://itch.io/jam/osr-supplement-jam/rate/1443109

HostSubmitted

I don't run a lot of OSE, *but* from the abilities list this is basically just a "autowin 1 fight per day, monsters suffer worse moral checks, NPCs react worse to you"

Which core class did you copy the abilities off of? 

Submitted

I didn't copy any abilities except I took a note from the svirtneblins for their AC penalty.

Submitted (2 edits)

I looked at spells to try and balance it. My thought process was, "well, an Elf can cast 2 fireballs a day at level 6 for 6d6 damage each."

I'm scribbling out a few loose ideas for one myself. Feeling a bit inspired to try and make up a Spirit hunting Exorcist as a twist on Cleric.

Submitted

Cool! Yeah I went back and let some people who play a ton of OSE offer feedback, I feel like the class is in a good spot now with the XP progression.

Submitted

The main thing that stands out to me is that Dracovir get the full 14 levels, which doesn't really fit with the B/X approach to demihumans. If you capped them at 10, maybe upped the base XP to 5,000, I think that would go a long way toward making the breath weapon feel less overpowered.

Submitted (1 edit)

Gotcha, good advice. I'm not sure if it'll matter much though, because their XP progression is so steep they'll be only level 10 when many other PCs will be 14 anyway. I'll probably bring them down to 12. I already tweaked their breath weapon cone a bit in the latest version.