Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are good "Pixel Art/Animation" Software?

A topic by PicoSpace Industries created Jun 12, 2024 Views: 151 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 7

I'm wondering if there is specific tools I should look at using for an animation with pixels?
Right now I have Affinity Bundle, Procreate, Krita

Submitted

I use Pixaki on the iPad! There is a really good demo version.
Aseprite is really popular but I haven’t used it. I think it’s available here on itch.io and on steam.

HostSubmitted

Aseprite/Libresprite

I also heard about pixelorama

Submitted

i use aseprite, it was a bit tricky to understand at first but most of the tools are there, it does cost money on both steam and itch tho.

i did use something called pixilart a few years ago, and as far as im aware there is an animation feature

I can vouch for Aseprite, it's low probably the most low-impact thing I've used for pixel art short of MSPaint. It's not as hard to understand as you would think, but you will certainly want to explore the UI and learn its hotkeys. Libresprite is basically a Free Open-Source fork of an older version of Aseprite, but it does what it needs to do.

dustdfg brought up Pixelorama and I can also vouch for that program, it's just a bit heavier in performance and I've had issues from leaving it running in the background for a while. It's really close to Aseprite in features and UI: also it's free and you can run it in a browser if you just wanna try it out.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to give pixelorama a go for this Jam.