Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Sketche99 Speedgame 2020 Game Development Blog

A topic by sketche99 created May 10, 2020 Views: 229 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Hello all, just wanted to say I’m pumped and ready to go for this years speedgame!

Glad I saw the post about it on the Christian devs or artist Facebook group page. I was thinking it would be closer to the summer or maybe the fall, but I’m always ready and willing to use my game development skills for the up building of God’s kingdom!

Now on to my scripture choices:

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

May be able to make an exploration game from this. Either searching for a lost sheep or a person. However, I don’t really like the idea of playing as Jesus in a game (especially if you can ‘lose’ at the game). Maybe, if I choose this you can play as  ‘a good shepherd’. Even though we know Jesus is the good shepherd, we aren’t directly referencing the Lord. Again, may look at this closer later.

Judges 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

Not really sure what to make of this one. This could either be a good thing or a bad thing. Every man doing what is right in their own eyes may not reflect what is right in the Lord’s eyes. Also even when Israel did have kings, the number of the unrighteous ones far outnumber the righteous ones. May need to take another look at this one.

Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; butGod meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it isthis day, to save much people alive.

Only thing I can think of for this is a retelling or a modern retelling of the story of Joseph. Not sure if time constraints will let me make what I would envision for this properly, but definitely a great story / theme to revisit in video game format.

Whichever I choose, I’ll need to get started ASAP. My problem (in my opinion) with my entry to last years speed game, was my vision ( an open world Christian game with multiple Christian radio stations with Spider-Man like wall climbing abilities) was too grand especially with me deciding on it halfway through the speed game development time. I believe as long as I get started relatively close to the starting time, I should be ok.

But we’ll see what unfolds as it happens.

Can’t wait to both get started and see what everyone else comes up with!

God bless!

Host

An accessible scope is super important and it's easy to over-scope or even over-design something. Try to lock down the most important element of whatever idea you come up with and then implement that. It's all iteration from there.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Submitted

Some good insight. Yeah, I'll need to start ASAP too, since I'm a participant this year. WOOOOO!

Submitted

Not much to post today. Going to go with Genesis 50:20 for my speed games theme.  Played around with some free Unity assets and was trying to get a good feeling 3rd person camera setup going. I have an idea of how I want the games story to progress, but nothing finalized yet. Also thinking of porting my speed game to Ouya, but will see how the Windows build goes 1st.

Submitted

Welp, spent all day working on my Speedgame Hardmode game and missed the deadline to upload my .exe. 

Managed to get my page uploaded though, and shared a dropbox link to what I was trying to upload on my Dev blog, but with an hour and a half of more time, I  managed to fix all the things I saw wrong with it. 

I'll upload the final version to Speedgame Classic (can't now as the page is locked for uploads during Speedgame Hardmode voting).  

I'm sort of pleased with my game, even if I'm missed the deadline of Hardmode. 

Now back to my Speedgame Classic game. 

Hopefully, I won't miss the deadline twice!