Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Some games do not launch

A topic by auraes created Apr 10, 2021 Views: 262 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 9
(1 edit)

Some games do not launch with Firefox 87.0 (64 bits) under Lubuntu 20.04: Sentient Beings and The Blue Lettuce. I can download The Blue Lettuce, but nothing to do for Sentient Beings, I get a desperately black screen.

Submitted

Thanks for the heads up! I just added a downloadable version to Sentient Beings... Could you test it out and see if it works in Firefox that way? If not, Chrome or Microsoft Edge will work great for playing the games.

No, it doesn’t work with the downloadable version either. Maybe it’s my Firefox settings that are the issue. The weird thing is that your other Reflections game is launching fine.

I'm also using Firefox 87.0 for 64-bit and both games work fine for me. However, I'm using Windows 7, so I'm guessing that it must be something to do with the Linux version of Firefox or the Lubuntu operating system.

Host

Is it possible to look at the console tab in debug tools and see if there is an error?

Sentient Beings:
Image corrupt or trucated. N6khOz.png

I have now also had problems with the Reflections game. I have a black screen at the beginning but when I click it works. I also had problems with the graphics displaying inside this game.

Host

Hmm. I wonder if it's a badly formed PNG or an Adventuron issue? Strange it works fine on other platform browser combos.

I'll dig out my old Thinkpad running Linux

(1 edit)

I can’t reproduce the error with the png anymore. Now I get two errors:

Error: Class$S923: Possible problem with your *.gwt.xml module file. The compile time user.agent value (safari) does not match the runtime user.agent value (gecko1_8). Expect more errors.

TypeError: a is null

The first one, I also have it with the other games.

Host

Thanks for the information. This could be an issue with the Java to JavaScript transpirer perhaps.

Submitted

Just let me know when I should recompile Chris :)

Submitted

Sorry about Blue Lettuce not working on your browser -- I've heard reports of this but they are beyond me to fix. Hopefully the download will work for you. The downloadable version lacks graphics but everything else is there.

(+1)

The games work in Firefox if I disable private browsing.

Host

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I wonder what it's blocking? Compiled games don't "phone home" or anything nefarious like that.

Can you check the "network" tab in browser tools and see if a request is being blocked somehow by the browser (will appear as a red row) - after reenabling "private browsing".

I don’t understand any of this, but if that helps you: