Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Shapely diversifier

A topic by TheDanimal created Sep 06, 2023 Views: 149 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

The sprites would be made out of circles, squares and triangles but is there a limit on how small they can be?

Individual pixels are squares, after all...

Jam Host

The diversifiers are open to interpretation, but doing pixel art and calling it squares doesn’t really showcase working under the limitation. The idea is to work with the “spirit” of the thing, so if it’s not immediately clear that you limited yourself to basic shapes, it probably won’t be seen as a good application of the challenge.

Submitted

By this logic anything would be made of squares, because it's rendered on a monitor.

I think what they mean, is that an individual "thing" should be just a geometric shape or a small collection of simple shapes. That's like the most basic understanding of the diversifier to me. For example, a character is a square, a bullet is a circle and so on. I think making a combination (like a humanoid made of shapes) is still valid as long as each part represented as a shape has a purpose for the game (e.g. circle head, square torso, rectangle limbs, as long as each part can move independently to a degree).

They also allow more complex shapes, but say it's not ideal.