Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

feedback?

A topic by sambamuel created Dec 20, 2021 Views: 71 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted (1 edit)

hey guys, personally, im  really happy that everyone seemed to think our idea was original but my friend is quite worried about the fun and presentation of the  game. i was wondering if anyone who played 'snowicide prevention' could

drill into us and tell us what we did wrong so we can come back stronger for the next one! 

Submitted

Hi Sambamuel, I think it was an original concept but the theme and functionality let it down a bit. From what I have heard and seen recommended by many peers is to keep things simple (until you are ready to add complexity). 

Firstly Suicide or Snowacide (though amusing in a black comedy sense) probably if meant seriously may not float many peoples boats. I think it probably needed some story and context as to why the snowman was trying to melt himself. This would have also helped with understanding the game mechanics and the motivation of the player character. As it is a touchy subject if I was to attempt I would try a humour route (perhaps the Snowman was sad Christmas was over or something).

Instructions in game to get you doing the right things - like a playable tutorial would have really helped as I enjoyed wandering round and the setting but was quite lost until I stumbled into a speedy Snowman (at first I thought they came through the windows to attack me). I found it weird my gun didn't do any damage and the more so when he sped off lol.

I think overall it was a tricky concept as the environment felt large and perhaps (although I cant think of any of the top of my head) more obstacle or tasks (maybe collectibles would have helped the fun factor.

I think its great you asked for feedback and hope I have helped a little (I just have been going on the Jams for about a year so I am sure there will be wiser advice ).

If possible can you give some feedback on mine? as like it seems you are finding along with experience it is one of the best takeaways we get from doing jams.

Keep up the jamming, and merry Xmas,

Rico

Submitted

cheers rico, you said that 'functionallity' was the problem but you listed alot of what i would consider to be design choices. i'm the programmer so if something like movement, shooting, snowman AI or health doesn't work then i'd like to know that. thanks for your concern about the design tho, we realise that including the instructions in the game description wasnt good enough. Also. we know the setting REALLY didnt make sense and that we used those assets because its all we could find which means the presentation suffers but you fail to explain how the gameplay itself was less fun. was it too easy? was it that shooting heals too much, that windows take too long to close or that the snowman runs away too quick? or was it that the core mechanics actually weren't fun?

its cool if you get back to me on this but i understand that its christmas and that you may be busy lol