Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Hey, I made some music this jam

A topic by Tijs created Aug 30, 2023 Views: 121 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)

This jam I spent most of my time producing background music as well as sound effects to fit our game about a flock of fireflies trying to restore light to the world. I tried creating a bit of a melodical, yet ominous sounding soundtrack to compliment the cautionary gameplay of navigating a dark maze.

I started out with the main theme by creating a "sound scape", this is a method where you start combining different instruments that fit the "enchanting" theme I was going for. I settled on a piano melody with backing pluck sounds, supported by a heavy "reese" bass line. To add a little bit of progression I added some cello's that fill up the lower chords. Once I settled on these core instruments I started laying out the melody, progression of the trackand drums. 

To create extra tension when the player is entering the "crystal cave", which is kind of like a harder level 2, I added an upbeat drum loop that aims to the speed the listener perceives the song. This part is easily my favourite part of the OST.

Our team was really focussed on creating a perfect mix of music, sound, art and lighting effects to create the perfect atmosphere that the player could get immersed in. Working together and combining the efforts of the programmers and graphical artist, we managed to create a truly unique experience.

Are you a sound designer and want to share your experience working on this gamejam, or are you interested to pick up sound design in the future? Leave a comment and share your experience, I would love to hear your story!

Check out the OST of our submissions "Glow in the Dark" here:

Check out our game "Glow in the Dark" here: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-10/rate/2230184

Submitted

Thank you once again Tijs for your great teamwork and sound design with Glow in the Dark. Your quality music had an important addition to the whole atmosphere of the game and fits really well.

Submitted

Love the music! Very well done!

Submitted

I really enjoyed the music, and I will try your guys game soon!

Could you try our game too?
It's a 2d platformer, and it was our second game jam and one of our first games so far!
Your feedback would be really appreciated! :)
https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-10/rate/2236039