SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DEV LOG] Rabbit in a Hole

A topic by Trevz! created Feb 18, 2020 Views: 388 Replies: 21
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted

[DEV LOG] Rabbit in a Hole

“I’m a Rabbit and my lair is near a farm where the owners grow carrots, so of course I'm going to get there and take it to feed my family, but the owners will do everything to stop me”  -The Rabbit

Hey Guys, how are you doing? I’m a little late on this dev log thing, but here we go. We are developing a game about a Rabbit that must feed his family for that you must steal farmer’s carrots, but if he catches you… you became his dinner. For that you can dig tunnels and holes through the farm, allowing you to escape from the farmer and get to difficult places. Each round you need to get a minimum amount of carrots kilograms, if you do that, NICE! You earn points. If you don’t your kids will run away and you be blamed as a bad parent ( and loses points as well).

Dawn of the first day -   We did a lot of brainstorming to get some ideias, after we discussed a lot about the theme ( that can became a lot abstract ) we finally decided to go with something quite simples and light. ( Sorry no murder this time guys). 

Dawn of the second day - This day we worked very Hard. Mr. Jial ( our animator ) did a great job modelling our main character, LOOK AT HIS CUTENESS. 

Meanwile I started programming our prototype, while “Dá vovó” fried on the game design. 

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Submitted

DAWN OF THE THIRD DAY –

Finally we got some core gameplay mecanics. Now the player can dig a couple of holes to pass through fences, but however he can’t do through concrete. We have also implemented carrots and the score system. 

Core Gameplay

Submitted

My game is themed around rabbits as well!

Submitted

That`s nice! What are you doing?

Submitted

It's a 2d game where you defend your burrow from birds/foxes/raccoons by throwing vegetables at them. I like your game so far! Send me a link to the finished game when you can.

Submitted(+1)

Of course i'll, and send me yours too! Loved your concept, i always wanted to throw cabbages at crows!

Submitted

Link: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-3/rate/574095

I'm making a behind-the-scenes on youtube. Can I use this comment thread in the video? (you are the one who inspired me to use cabbages)

(+1)

I love the story element that if you don't bring enough carrots, your poor family/Offspring dies :) makes it sad and depressing haha. 

Submitted

Thanks man! We wanted to create something to motivate the player rather than pure "getting more points". And don't forget the fact that Rabbits reproduce preatty quickly, so each round the family gets bigger making you need to gather more food, elevating the difficulty.   

Submitted

I like the mechanic of digging holes!  How will the farmer follow you?  Will he also destroy your holes?

Submitted

Yes, he will try to get you and destroy your holes. We are working on it right now.

Submitted(+1)

Good luck!

Submitted

DAWN OF THE FOURTH DAY –

Today we implemented a few animmations, it's still a little bit bugged but it gave a hole new personallity to the Rabbit. We have also done some level design to crea playtest and see if all parts are working as planned.  Check it out.

Submitted(+1)

It looks excellent!!  Great job!

Submitted(+1)

The animations look great! I also like how you really made the holes part of the game instead of handwaving it like "oh yeah, and the protagonists has holes in his coat. So there's that".

Submitted

Thank you, guys!

(+1)

lol

Submitted

will the rabbit have a texture?

Submitted

He actually  have . Our aesthetic decision was to create the texture in a very minimalistc way, and we used it for all the assets on the game.  So no eyes, no arms or legs, and even the fences and carrots are thron apart. Take a look. 

Submitted(+1)

ah so just the ears ;)

Submitted

DAWN OF THE FINAL DAY - 

FAAAAALA MEUS QUERIDÕES! ( HEEEEY MY FRIENDS) . We've finally submitted our game. We really hope you enjoy it!  We want to thank you guys for the  company during the Devlogs, it was really fun to talk to you and get your feedback. You are awesome!. 

So let's go! Here is the link! Go  steal some carrots and run away from the farmer.  https://trevz.itch.io/rabbit-in-a-hole 

Submitted

WE NEED YOUR FEEDBACK - [DEVLOG 6]

Fala meus queridões, how you doing? I really hope well!

We've got a lot of feedbacks on the past few days, and decided to start improving the game. It's a huge holiday here in Brazil ( Carnaval, yaaay), so we have a lot of free time. First we changed the controls, now you use the WASD, Q and E instead of WASD, Z and X. We also fixed a few annoying bugs,  now diging in roads don't flick anymore and you can't dig over a hole. 

We've also improved the farmers AI. Now he sees and destroys holes when not hunting the player and also is a way faster. We did that in order to increase the game's challenge. We really hope you find it more fun! 

But however, i personally want to ask for your feedback. If you can play the game,  and tell us what you think! This is the only way for us to improve and perhaps launch the game in a few months! Here's the link https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-3/rate/574289

Thanks for the pacience! Se cuida Galera! Beijocas Trevz!.