Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A sticky proposal

A topic by Sticky Doodler created Jan 05, 2023 Views: 190 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)

OK, so this isn't so much an entry as an idea for making card connect to each other. What if the connectors on each card had a prompt to connect to some other card? I was thinking of ways that the card backs could help people who are trying to organize their cards in some meaningful way, so playing the game would actually be useful to people. Ex:

The idea that you can use stickers to connect cards would be extra -- it's basically a way to create non-tabbed puzzle pieces. Stickers could be in fiction (e.g., a cavern collapse) or meta (e.g., various game symbols like meeples, dice, etc.).

Of course this concept is related to StickerDoodle, but you can take the sticker part out and keep just the prompts for connecting paths to each other.

Thoughts?

HostSubmitted

Oh, I like this idea!  Are you thinking like a supplement sheet where you have different types of stickers to attach?  That would be awesome!   And at a convention, having a sticker sheet to handout for the quest would be great for all the physical cards or for setting up at a game table with the group.  I think kids especially would love taking turns putting the stickers on.

Submitted (1 edit)

Supplement sheet, or (expensive) have stickers on the cards themselves, maybe the front?

The stickers is the lesser of the two ideas, though; the prompt that connects two paths is something I think would give all cards more "oomph." Maybe. I'm just kicking around something that give people a reason to connect cards to each other?

Alternatively, as we discussed on Twitter, an "overworld map" where you can slot your cards. This could literally be nothing more than an 8.5x11 sheet with a little design and spots that say things like "play with my kids" or "fun to read" or "great art!" or whatever.

Submitted

OK, here's the crazy version of this where stickers are on the obverse and the quest-y stuff is on the reverse.

It's not my ideal because I'd love for the stickers to be on-brand for the card. Like, your logo or whatever. In which case, getting it to fit the back may be off-brand. Like, are you the monster?

But, just wanted to put this out there as a concept iteration

HostSubmitted

I love this so much!  And you used my glyphs!!!  Thank you!  

I think this is a really good concept for adding a ton of variation to the game (fantastic replay value) where players get to modify cards and make choices about what type of encounters and loot and even terrain they come across.  

Submitted

I've already kind of done something like this to encourage Questers to seek out other cards XD Things like seeking out a card with a book on it, and the name on the back is the name of the new pet, or finding a map piece that has water on it to connect to one path so it puts out the "fire" and you can go in that direction.

If someone else is willing to design stickers, I'll happily connect some of my cards to it all! Having stickers that include something with fire, water, plant, and book would be of particular interest to me and would take some very minor tweaking on my part to incorporate them.

Submitted

I'm not an artist but am happy to mock some stuff up.

This breaks the premise of the "it only takes 5 minutes" but if every card had an "outbound" object (like the pail of water) and an "inbound" slot (like the fire), that could work.

The other suggestion I have is more about the connection points, like, just put a prompt (your visual suggestion is better but harder than plain text) so there's a reason to connect cards to each other. Like, "More serious" or "Similar style" etc.

Just spitballing some more "game" elements. If this is done digitally it'd be quite different than IRL stickers. Also something that would play well on social media would be extra gud?

(1 edit)

Oh wow, this is SUCH a cool idea!!!! I also just, in general, LOVE the encouragement to draw on cards and such to make them unique and self-customized. 

I plan to release at least a couple of cards today (right before deadline lol) and this has me thinking, so thanks!

- ✨Beth

Submitted

Oh hey thanks Beth! Doodling on stickers is the core concept for my game, StickerDoodle Town. (It'll also be expensive as heck to make a physical card like this.)