SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

SimpleJSON

A topic by ShidyGames created Aug 24, 2019 Views: 409 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Hello there,

I'm used to work with SimpleJSON which is basically a creative commons asset that simplify a lot the way you can manage JSON reading and writing by working on Unity.

Is this asset allowed in the current jam, as it is in fact free and public so anybody can use it if they want?

Thanks and good luck/have fun everybody!

I believe language libs are allowed, you don't need to implement those generic stuff by yourself, like a JSON parser, list handler or database connection, stuff like that.

(2 edits)

Can we get a host to clarify? I'm starting to get confused about where the line between just standard C# compiler stuff, which we of course aren't expected to implement ourselves, and premade libraries, which is cheating, is. I mean, unless SimpleJSON or any other JSON parser is in the Package Manager or built-into the Unity Engine or C# standard libary, then surely it breaks the following  rule

*Everything* has to be made during the jam. This means you *can't reuse any code* or assets you made before the jam or *from other sources*.

There's nothing in the rules that says external code is ok as long as it's open source. That has nothing to do with it.

My only thought is: is SimpleJSON is a "generator"? In this case, it would be allowed because of rule 6: "Generators are allowed, as long as you have some control over the output."

Submitted

I understand what's your point here.

This is a parser/builder, meaning that you'll have to ask it to do what you want - it won't do anything by itself.

That's why I asked here, to have some insights about this specific type of external asset - obviously I'm not going to use it until we got any official confirmation that this is allowed.

This part of the rule is what is making me thinking this could be allowed:

Asset store assets are not allowed either, except for the ones that don't contribute to the game itself but make the workflow easier. 

Even if this lib isn't from the Unity Asset Store, it is still making the workflow easier and does not contribute directly to the gameplay, visuals or whatever the game is offering.

Thanks for your react on this!

Yeah fair enough! Ok to me that sounds fine then. But I'd prefer we got a host or organizer to confirm, I'm just guessing from my interpretation of the rules.

Submitted

Same here, waiting to see if this is officially accepted or not - until this, I'll consider it is not :)

Host

Yeah sure you can use SimpleJSON

Submitted

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Submitted

From everything I've heard so far I didn't think this would be allowed.

So I want to know specifically if i can use any of these libraries?

UniRx : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/unirx-reactive-extensions-for-unity-17276

Zenject: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/zenject-dependency-injection-ioc-17758

+1 for UniRx.

Based on the discussion, it is also a lib that does not add to the gameplay and is mainly for code architecture. However, a clarification from the mods/hosts would be nice.