Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Unity sharing

A topic by OmniCroissant created Jul 27, 2023 Views: 110 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Hey I was wondering. Wouldn't it be easier to share the files of an unity project to export all the assets in a Unity package, then share the package and then import it in a new project ? I see many people here sharing directly the zipped project folder or a link to download the folder, but the unity package seem to take much less space and be faster to download.

Submitted

You could, but all collision masks and layers including some physics stuff would have to be setup again

Oh I see. That would be annoying on very large projects. It would have been ideal for the first day when the games were small, but on I guess passing the folder is the best solution.

Thanks.

Submitted

What I've found is that if you go into the project folder, compress just the Assets, Project Settings, and Packages folders (not the Library, logs, objects, samplerecordings, or whatever else might be there), you can cut the file size down to almost the same as the .unityproject while still providing all the collision layers and tag info.

Submitted

Also any unused files should be removed, I accidentally left a bunch of 2k materials each with 4-5 maps, about 300 MB of space there was no need to make people download 😅