Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Project Log

A topic by lootsmuggler created Aug 03, 2022 Views: 110 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Day 1: I created the main class without putting anything in it.  And I added JOGL to my project.  I plan to add graphics after the jam is over, so I might as well start with JOGL now.

Day 2: I drew a polygon in a window.  The polygon won't appear in the actual game, but I had to have something to test.

Day 3: Ah, I have text on the screen.  But it gets screwed up when I change the size of the window.  And I can't resize the window normally.

Maybe tomorrow I'll start the actual content of the game.

Day 4: I switched to LWJGL because there's no good JOGL tutorials.

Day 5: In my limited time, I continued working through the LWJGL tutorial.

Day 6: My god.  It's been so long.  Apparently, I have to jump through some hoops to put text on the screen.  Why did I ever use JOGL or LWJGL for this?  I guess I have to figure it out now.

At this point, I have to stop for carpal tunnel syndrome.

So I'm going to drop out of the jam.  It was inevitable.  I shouldn't have tried to use JOGL or LWJGL for this.  I should have just used Swing.  I already knew better, and I already did it anyways.

Still, I'm calling this a success because I made so much progress with LWJGL.  I think I'm going to finish the tutorial I've been doing (when I have time).  Then, I'll try another game jam.

Submitted

I'm sorry to hear you are dropping the jam...

Couldn't you make something smaller with Swing in the remaining 4 days till closing submission?

Good luck on your dev journey :)

It might be possible.  I have other things that I have to do that I haven't been doing because I was messing around with JOGL and LWJGL.

If I can get enough work done  today, I should be able to work on something tomorrow night.  My plan for the jam was to experiment with a combat system.  I may be able to do just that without having much other content.

It may not be the best use of my time, but it's worth a try.  I really have to start finishing stuff.