Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Anyone else struggling

A topic by rexrf created 87 days ago Views: 188 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

for the last week I’ve been trying to create a rage game within a horror game. And my vision for the game is something I’m not skilled enough to do so now my motivation to complete a jam turned to sadness. So I was just wondering if anyone else was struggling

(+2)

Hey! I know how you feel. The time limit on game jams can feel overwhelming, especially when you are pushing the envelope of what you are capable of. This is basically scope creep. 

First, don't give up! your game doesn't have to be the best game ever. we're not competing, we are just trying to get better together! 

Second, try to limit the new things to try to 1-2 things for a game jam. if you have time try others. 

Third, this is something I started doing, but you can do even at this point to help re-evaluate. Make a list of all the features you want in your game. Then make a list of the subset of those feature which are core to the gameplay loop. Then, make a final third list of the non-essentials in order of which you want to implement the most. then you knock out the essentials and make an MVP, and start adding the non-essentials until you run out of time.

Submitted

thank you for the advice ill try and see if that helps :)

Submitted

yeah I totally see how you feel but remember this is just for fun so if you think of some easy idea you can make fast that has a small scope just have fun and go for it! You don’t lose anything if you fail

Submitted

thank you for your words of encouragement :)

Submitted

Is this one of your first jams? It's totally normal for this to happen, especially if it's one of the first times you're participating in a jam.

Over time, you'll develop a better sense of what you can create with your skills during the jam period.

And don't worry if you can't submit the game for the jam, even if you haven't submitted, you've definitely improved some skills in these last few days. Or perhaps submit what you've managed to create, and then work on the project for a few more days, but don't invest too many days, weeks, months, invest just enough to deliver the idea you had for the jam.

Submitted(+1)

thank you I know I have improved on some things hopefully I'm able to get good enough to make a good game one day