Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Fan Games are OK right?

A topic by Elvies created May 21, 2022 Views: 196 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

original games are ok, no demaks, remakes and romhacks, but if i may ask, a fan game based on an existing ip of a company that is ok with having indie devs make fan games of their titles are ok too right?

Host

As long as there is not a copyright violation, and it's not a demake of their existing game, this would count as using assets, I'd say.

Submitted

even if we make assets from scratch? also as long as we dont sell it its ok right?

Host

You still use otherones graphics, right?

No, copyright doesn't work that way. As long as the company hasn't stated - it's ok to use their stuff -, you'd have to ask. Which is the best way to go anyways.
Maybe most companies won't sue you, for taking their content, but that doesn't mean that it's allowed.

Submitted (1 edit)

What if it's my game I'm demaking, and I made the new assets from scratch for the demake?

Host(+1)

The reason I put no demakes / remakes in the rules is of copyright violation reasons. If you'd use your own game, it would be similar to using assets, I'd say. Because there is something already done, that you are building upon.
Next year I'll change the rules quite a bit, to make it even more specific.

Submitted

i went to your twitch and saw my submission part on the vid. Yeah i agree, if ever i win (i doubt i will coz i didnt even made a game lol), i wont take the price coz i referenced zelda tiles. I decided to make this a full game but will change art style to make it more original. Thank u man.

Host

Like I said in my stream I really have to look into the Zelda tiles, cause I have really no clue how similar they are.
Besides: Handling feels very good in your prototype. Good job! :)