Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progress on first day

A topic by Nim_Lorekeeper created May 21, 2022 Views: 227 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

How's everyone doing? The first 24h are almost up, how are your projects looking, did you accomplish what you had in mind for the day, even more perhaps? Is the hype still high?

I'll go first.

I'm working solo on a game in RPG Maker MV, and so far I'm still full of hype. I got the main cast fleshed out, the intro cutscene complete and some ideas for the story at large. I've still got trouble figuring out what I want in terms of mechanics, like combat, player decisions, open world feel, or just linear story through and through?  My goal for tomorrow is to figure out the answer to this question and start implementing whatever it is.

Your turn! What are you making?

Submitted

We have a story worked out. Mainly we're working on the mechanics of gameplay. Hopefully, we can tell the story through that.

Submitted

For my project, I'm going with a more puzzle/mechanism approach than anything that's like a story or even player choices (outside of the player's inputs/gameplay).

I made a working prototype (3d models, board generation and rules, pieces moving as expected, etc.), but I though of a new better way of making it so I'm currently remaking the prototype from scratch.

I must admit that the theme "Death is only the beginning!" made me scratch my head a bit about how to properly implement it into my idea. Not that it's hard (far from it, it's actually quite easy), but it puts too much emphasis on a part I wished to subdue from the setting in my game.

To put it in simple words, my project is giving the player the ability to manipulate moving pieces which are, ultimately, offerings to a singing Totem (a divine physical body of a god). While to follow this Jam's theme, I'm forcing a bit more emphasis on the offerings as being sacrifices instead of just gifts, I'll move away a bit from the darker setting after the Jam for the commercial release. (The gameplay remains the same, but the setting changes a bit.)

I'll most likely be more active on the Jam by the 23th as I'm currently in the 2 last days (today included) before quitting my job at a general store. The reason for me quitting are many, but it's ultimately due to my health which render me unable to continue that job without worsening my situation over time.

Submitted

progress 0%

No story

No idea

why coming up with good idea is so hard ?

:(

Deleted post
Submitted

Thanks for all the replies, glad to see there's already been some progress for the most part.

@ragingTurtle What kind of game are you making? It's super cool that you're starting from the story, so I'm actually hyped about finding out what you'll be doing.

@CMaxo Centering the theme around offerings sounds pretty new, and the idea of puzzles gets me hyped to try it at the end of the jam!  Also, good luck with your job issues. I hope things work out the way you want them to, if not better.

@nexero It's not about getting GOOD ideas, but finding a shard of an idea and expanding on it. It doesn't even have to be an original idea in the first place, because once you take it and work on it, you make it your own. Just enjoy the process and own it like a boss ;) I can tell you it's true because first and foremost I write stories, rather than develop games, and this is something that happens all the time in storytelling.

@yangamedev The overdone bloom looks really interesting. Are you planning on keeping the style, or is it some form of experimentation you're doing? I'm not normally into shooters, but I would try your game out for the esthetics.